Re: [rootsradicals] Project Porchlight Advertising Signs on Xtracycles

  • Ryano
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 6, 2006
      Great.  The only other thing I would suggest is joining these side flaps somehow, to stop rain getting in front and back at the top.  They wouldn't have to be joined all the way to the bottom, just say the top half somehow.  Maybe thin plastic with drawstring (a little like the freerads already have at the bottom, only waterproof plastic instead of netting).

      On 07/10/06, Juergen Weichert <juergen@...> wrote:

      Ryano wrote:
      > Lack of a really good waterproofing solution has been my only issue so
      > far with the Xtracycle. This looks really nice, and potential for a
      > good message.
      >
      > I second Greg's question of whether the flaps hang down when loaded.
      > I wouldn't want them to be sticking out rigid horizontally either. In
      > addition, I have been trying to think of some nice clean way that we
      > can join the two around the sides as well, to make it a really robust
      > waterproofing solution. Perhaps a softer material, sewn or glued to
      > your side pieces, with plenty of slack for when you fill the freerads.
      > Maybe elacticized at the bottom to catch the slack? One sticking
      > point for me is the issue of how not to cover the light at the back by
      > doing this. Perhaps clear vinyl or plastic is the only way...
      >
      > These side flaps of yours also look like they might flap around in a
      > wind. If so, I would also suggest some way of securing them to the
      > freerad at the bottom - clips+straps or velcro straps or something
      > like this.

      They do flap int he wind. Actually they flap up once and can stay flat
      on top of the snapdeck. I have a couple of possible solutions in mind -
      all simple.

      For advertising they need to be visible when going slowly enough for
      people to read your message. No flapping at those speeds because of the
      weight of the stiffening plastic.

      Juergen