parking and locks

  • Devian Gilbert
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26, 2008
      this is the parking at Cedars-Sinai hospital in LA.  the bike rack is right next to the Security kiosk.
      i stop, say hello, ask if its ok to park there, get the Security guy's name, snap a pic or two, and express great thanks and how wonderful it is to know that Security is watching the bikes.

      this is parking at The Beverly Connection in LA.
      the open door in the background is the actual Security Office.
      again... say hello, be friendly, get the guys names, chit chat, express great thanks for the wonder bicycle parking, snap a pic or two, and let the staff get to know a little bit about yourself.

      basically make friends with Security.

      i love Security

      LA is awesome like that.
      seriously!
      its a huge growing industry
      and they are almost always super friendly

      shots of the bike racks in front of The LA Times.
      Security is beyond tight there.

      security?
      huh... try riding your bicycle directly in front of this building with panniers full... and a digital camera.
      Security is on you right away!

      last one
      http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/rootsradicals/photos/view/a691?b=98&m=s&o=0
      LA City Hall in the background.
      i forget what this area is called, but there is a large Security building to the left and out of the picture.
      typically i just give the guys my I.D. and let them run my stuff.
      i'm 40yo, 1/2 filipino, i was in the Army, etc...
      these days, it seems that i run into guys all the time with very similar backgrounds.
      lots of prior service guys are working in the Security industry these days.
      so i make friends with them right away.
      most guys are somewhat jocks, often they ride bikes too, and prior military duty is a huge bonus.

      i guess you could say that a lot of this stuff is about making friends, & documenting things.
      as you can see, i take lots of pics.  its just a matter of documenting things.
      its a really good idea to insure your bikes too. (renter's insurance, etc.)

      someone, somewhere is going to be liable for your stolen bike.
      if you have documentation its all the better.

      http://www.AsanaCycles.com