RE: [rootsradicals] Re: Locks

  • Mighk Wilson
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 26 11:31 AM

      I had an interesting bike lock experience last month, which fortunately did not involve my bike being stolen.  I biked to a work-related meeting at a big ritzy hotel on International Drive , Orlando ’s monster tourist strip.  I rode my regular road bike, not Lakshmi (my X).

      Arriving at the front door/valet entrance I immediately asked where I should park and lock my bike.  The valet told me, “We don’t have a bike rack; just lock it up wherever you can.”  The only post that would accommodate my U-lock was a flag pole up front, so I locked it there and went in for my meeting.

      When I came out at the end of the day my bike was gone.  Since it was in such a conspicuous location, I doubted a thief would have attempted it, and suspected the hotel removed it.  Sure enough, after some searching around, I learned that was the case.  Turns out the head honcho ( Orlando ’s biggest hotelier) was going to be there soon and the head valet (who wasn’t there when I arrived) said it would have meant his job if the owner saw the bike locked up there.  They had it securely stored behind the valet desk.  They promised to reimburse me for the lock.  (Still working that out…)

      I just wish I had asked to see what they used to break it!

      Mighk