an introduction with an explination of why ................................

  • conifir1
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26, 2008
      this is an introduction ..................

      my planning is 2 fold so to speak...................
      1. i hope to do the GDMBT (Great Divide Mountain Bike Trail) next
      summer ..in fact i was going to take several months to do the
      trail........
      2. when they take your drivers licenses away from you when you get
      older ............and they can do that.................they cannot
      take away your bicycle..............that way i can disappear on my
      bicycle and just go......when i get too old and too crabby.....

      now i got that out of the way.............

      i have been looking at a handle bar bag that will hold my sleeping
      bag and hennesey hammock and my fly rod caddy(24 inches long x 1.5
      inches in dia.) (which i can tie down on the outside of the handle
      bar pack.....i figure the caddy for my fly rod will also work for
      carrying a couple of collapsible tent poles in case i might need
      them) i am leaning toward
      carousel design works handle bar pack system ........

      a frame pack that will hold my whisper lite international stove and
      space for other items
      such as food etc..(since i have a serious food allergy i cannot have
      anything with gluten i need to cook my own meals)..what is nice about
      the whisper lite international stove it will burn either white gas or
      kerosene........again carousel designs works product

      a gas tank bag for daily items ... etc.....again carousel design
      works

      and the largest saddle bag for clothing and what ever .........here
      it is a toss up between
      carousel and epic still have not made up my mind which way to
      go......

      i am going to pick up some kind of water purifying kit.......probably
      the katadyn hiker pro
      and this really neat item made by brunton a foldable solar
      charger ......so that it will charge my cell phone,my dinotte helmet
      light and my little grundig am/fm/sw radio........this way during the
      day as i am moving along i have my little solar panel strapped down
      to my handle bar pack doing its thing .with the battery charge in my
      gas tank pack. doing its natural born thing....

      from what i can figure my bicycle a Trek Fuel weights in at 28.2
      lbs and my equipment that i am taking with me should be another 15
      to 20 lbs tops with food......so my total weight should be in the
      neighborhood of 43 to 48 lbs.......as long as i do not go over a
      total combine weight of (50 lbs) bicycle and equipment i should be
      fine........

      since i have a full suspension bicycle.............i have read horror
      stories from others how their racks that they bought that were
      suppose to work with full suspension bicycle bust apart......and i
      donot want to be at a point along the trail having to abandoning
      equipment i need because of a busted rear or front rack.........and i
      remember back in the dark ages that walking with a bicycle with rear
      panniers can be a bummer.............

      on the water situation i am planning to fabricate some caddy's to
      mount on my front shock forks.........so that the lower caddy that
      sits near my crank can carry my stove fuel bottle.......

      i can probably fabricate two more water bottle mounts back along side
      my rear tire frame......

      and one water bottle up on my handle bars for easy access........

      in a perfect world i am trying to keep from carrying anything on my
      back.......
      i can remember what it was like bicycling with a ruck sack .....how
      your shoulders would ache after a whole day peddling away.......but i
      will cross that bridge when the time comes by doing some trial test
      runs as time gets closer for my departure.........

      since i go out bicycling about 4 days out of the week doing around 50
      miles in 5.5 to 6 hrs
      which is not bad for being 58..............i have experimented with
      my handle bars and comfort so that spot that is between your shoulder
      blades don't start talking to you .........i had a extender mounted
      on my stem to raise my handle bars 3.5 inches..............and that
      has made a world of difference in comfort........also on my handle
      bar ends i mounted the vertical uprights that make your handle bars
      look like bull horns...
      that has helped in comfort.......but i also took 2 tennis balls and
      drilled holes through them
      and slipped them on ........so that i can change the position on my
      hands.......
      this has made comfort city big time................also taking
      another pair of hand grips and slipping them over the original hand
      grips on my handle bars made a difference for my hand grip comfort

      so as you can see this whole thing is a work in progress............

      i did pick up a copy of Michael Mc Coy`s "Cycling The Great Divide
      this i plan to take with me.............

      and you have to understand i lived for the longest time out side of
      columbia falls, mt. , jackson, wy. and truckee, ca. so i have
      some what of an idea of being in the high country...........

      but if you have ideas ..............want to shoot down any idea i
      have feel free too......
      i am all ears............this is a learning process that i am going
      through...........and i have found it help full from my experience in
      asking others around you that have some knowledge in what you are
      planning to tackle

      hope to hear from you