Mechanical Disk Brakes

  • Amos Patrick
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 5, 2006
      Has there been any discussion comparing mechaincal disk brakes to
      hydraulic disk brakes? I am getting ready to go with disks and am
      wondering which one I should go with. Mechanicals are quite a bit
      cheaper and will work with my current levers but do they have the
      stopping power of a hydraulic? I am planning on adding a Stokemonkey
      and carrying my wife around on the back so I need a good set of brakes.

      -Amos
    • todd fahrner
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 5, 2006
        On 10/5/06, Amos Patrick <apatrick@...> wrote:

        > Has there been any discussion comparing mechaincal disk brakes to
        > hydraulic disk brakes? I am getting ready to go with disks and am
        > wondering which one I should go with. Mechanicals are quite a bit
        > cheaper and will work with my current levers but do they have the
        > stopping power of a hydraulic? I am planning on adding a Stokemonkey
        > and carrying my wife around on the back so I need a good set of brakes.

        I've used mechanical disks exclusively, with good results (I'm the
        Stokemonkey guy). The only clear upside of hydraulic to me is that the
        rear caliper of mechanicals can be interfered with by cargo in the
        adjacent left FreeLoader. Xtracycle provides a guard, but it will wear
        a hole in the fabric and can be too easily bent IMO. Going with bigger
        203mm rotors front and rear is a good thing.
      • Devian Gilbert
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 5, 2006

          On 10/5/06, Amos Patrick <apatrick@engineerin g.uiowa.edu> wrote:

          > Has there been any discussion comparing mechaincal disk brakes to
          > hydraulic disk brakes? I am getting ready to go with disks and am
          > wondering which one I should go with. Mechanicals are quite a bit
          > cheaper and will work with my current levers but do they have the
          > stopping power of a hydraulic? I am planning on adding a Stokemonkey
          > and carrying my wife around on the back so I need a good set of brakes.

          I've used mechanical disks exclusively, with good results (I'm the
          Stokemonkey guy). The only clear upside of hydraulic to me is that the
          rear caliper of mechanicals can be interfered with by cargo in the
          adjacent left FreeLoader. Xtracycle provides a guard, but it will wear
          a hole in the fabric and can be too easily bent IMO. Going with bigger
          203mm rotors front and rear is a good thing.

        • Paul Rychnovsky
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 5, 2006
            Amos wrote Thursday, October 05, 2006 3:13 PM

            Has there been any discussion comparing mechanical disk brakes to
            hydraulic disk brakes? I am getting ready to go with disks and am
            wondering which one I should go with. Mechanicals are quite a bit
            cheaper and will work with my current levers but do they have the
            stopping power of a hydraulic? I am planning on adding a Stokemonkey
            and carrying my wife around on the back so I need a good set of brakes.

            The stopping power of cable and hydraulic brakes are pretty much the same its the effort required to achieve that power that is different, if you got a strong grip go for mechanical they are cheaper, easier to repair and maintain. Try replacing and bleeding a hydraulic hose on the side of the road ! My stokemonkeyed Xtra copes fine with mechanicals, even screaming down long 25% hills fully loaded.
          • Devian Gilbert

              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 5, 2006
                plus you can't boil cables
              • Mike Leger
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 5, 2006
                  I'm running a Shimano basic mechanical in front and a hydraulic(al?) in back on a Stokemonkey. I originally had a mechanical in back, but spent so much time keeping it in adjustment, that I decided to buy an (Avid Juicy) hydraulic and never looked back. Much better feel with the hydraulic, and absolutely no hassles with keeping it adjusted. Maybe this is just because the shimano mechanical is a cheaper model? The hydraulic pads seem to last a bit longer though. I was not aware of the wear factor with disk brake pads when I went to disks. The LBS let me know that I was getting an exceptional amount of mileage when I replaced the pads at 2,000 miles. That was a shock.

                  When finances allow, I will probably put a hydraulic in front.

                  -Mike

                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 5, 2006
                    On 2006-10-05, at 6:20 PM, Mike Leger wrote:
                    > I'm running a Shimano basic mechanical in front and a hydraulic
                    > (al?) in back on a Stokemonkey. I originally had a mechanical in
                    > back, but spent so much time keeping it in adjustment, that I
                    > decided to buy an (Avid Juicy) hydraulic and never looked back.
                    > Much better feel with the hydraulic, and absolutely no hassles with
                    > keeping it adjusted. Maybe this is just because the shimano
                    > mechanical is a cheaper model?

                    Which one do you have? I bought a bike equipped with Nexave brakes,
                    which is I think about as cheap as it comes. As near as I can tell,
                    there are three ways to adjust these brakes:
                    - you can adjust the cable (till the caliper lever travel is not enough)
                    - you can adjust the backside pad with an allen wrench
                    - you can move the entire brake in and out in its mount, somewhat, to
                    use up space there so you can loosen the cable again and get more
                    travel.

                    Also, because I have not-linear-pull levers, I have an inline Travel
                    Agent to the rear brake. The front brake, I run to tighter
                    tolerances, and just use as is, at least till the local bike store
                    gets another inline T.A. in stock.

                    When the brakes are adjusted properly, they've got good stopping
                    power, at least compared to what I am used to, which is rim caliper
                    brakes. I don't ride offroad much, so dirt resistance and grit-
                    induced wear are not big issues. With a load in the back, I think
                    they can really put a heck of a load on the front fork when I stop
                    hard (I'm still getting used to hard braking with the xtracycle).
                    When wet, they're astonishingly noisy.

                    Perhaps because I am only comparing to old rim brakes, I am quite
                    happy with the cheap-ish disks that I've got. I'm hard on spokes,
                    but with a disk, what would be a required repair, is instead only a
                    case of "whoa, that's ugly, I better fix that when I get home". Rain
                    is not really a problem, and I am trying to work up the time and
                    nerve to try out the snow chains that I made -- with rim brakes, snow
                    chains are not an option.

                    David
                  • Leifert, Jesse - BLS
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 6, 2006
                      Message
                      Anyone have the dimensions handy?

                      Thanks,

                      Jesse
                    • Molly and Chris
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 6, 2006
                        I just measured mine, 26 1/2 long by 8 1/2 wide in front down to 7 at the rear
                        Chris
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 6, 2006
                          Following up my remark about snow chains, I decided to try a test fit
                          and test drive, since I had to take the wheel off anyhow for a broken
                          spoke.

                          You'll notice I had all the fabric off, because I figured I could do
                          a lot of damage if these came loose. I fit them by deflating the
                          tire, making them snug, and then inflating the tire. The tire was a
                          700c x 28, rated 120psi, reinflated to 80. If I could run a bigger
                          wheel, I would, but I am down to about 1/8 inch. It did clear the
                          fender, after careful fender fiddling.

                          The short answer is yes, they do stay on, and they're ok on a lawn (I
                          might check the lawn to see what it thinks). On dry pavement,
                          strange, yet unpleasant. At low speeds you get shaking, at higher
                          speeds it is a strong vibration, to the point that you need to be
                          careful how you hold your teeth. Braking, unsurprisingly, was pretty
                          easy to lock up. I suspect that these would make sparks from time to
                          time.

                          So -- I might try these on the snow, but keep them off roads that
                          have anything like pavement. Fitting them is also a hassle, since it
                          requires tire off, deflation, fiddling, and inflation. I would not
                          use them in front, because I fear the handling would be terrible, and
                          I have enough clearance for several different studded Nokians. The
                          Nokian A10s (http://www.suomityres.fi/a10.html) would fit in the
                          rear, but are apparently not available in the US.

                          This suggests that the ability to put snow chains on a tire with disk
                          brakes is not that big a win; you could, but would you do it twice?

                          If you are tempted to repeat my experiment, I used these instructions
                          (http://www.rpi.edu/dept/union/juggling/public/uni/unichains.html) to
                          build the chains. The only difference is that instead of attaching
                          clips, I actually opened and closed the links to fasten the chains (I
                          really don't want these coming off by accident, and I have plenty of
                          spare links).

                          David
                        • Ryano

                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 6, 2006
                              On 2006-10-06, at 9:02 PM, Ryano wrote:

                              > Very beautifully done, but why on earth would you do this when you
                              > can buy studded bicycle tyres ... ?
                              Because I could pick up 12-gauge jack chain at the local hardware
                              store? In the US, studded tires for bikes seem to be a bit of a
                              novelty.

                              I came to pretty much the same conclusion that you did (but I used
                              science! I ran the experiment, and got negative results), and plan to
                              get a 700c x 35 studded from Peter White. If that fits the rear,
                              then I buy another, else I just run with one in front. It'll be a
                              tight fit in the rear, and carbide studs would be detrimental to
                              anything they rubbed against.

                              I gather that for really thick snow, the chains might prove
                              worthwhile, but I am much more likely to ride in the conditions you
                              describe.

                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 6, 2006

                                Amos,

                                            I have been using Avid Mechanical BB7 disc brakes on both my front and rear Aerospoke wheels for well over a year now, and I love them. If you have not heard me say it before, I am a messenger in NYC so I have to ride in all weather conditions and obviously I stop-and-go on an incredibly frequent basis (from track-standing at intersections while waiting for the light… to stopping short when getting cut off by a cab… or even just skidding for a while when loaded down after racing down an avenue.)

                                            The adjustments to the Avids are incredibly simple. Basically it is like twisting a bottle cap since all you have to do is turn a dial or two. The brake pads themselves seem to last a very long time too. I think I only had to replace each of the pads two times in the past year or more and that is with riding at least 30 miles a day five times a week. You do not even really need any tools when swapping out pads either.

                                            I must admit I have not used hydraulic brakes myself, except when riding on another fellow messenger’s cargo bike. I remember it feeling smoother, but not much else being all that different. I also have had fellow messengers and other riders suggest NOT using hydraulics because of the complications involved with maintenance and repairs. A mechanical brake cable can most likely survive a crash just fine, but if you spring a leak in a hydraulic line during a fall you might be very screwed.

                                            I do not know if my two cents helps you at all in your decision, but I figured I would share my own experience. It kind of sounds to me like you just had an unfortunate cheap set of disc brakes, so do not let that completely kill your opinion of them. I certainly would not go back to caliper/V-brakes! ...And I can not see myself bothering to even think about switching to hydraulic brakes, considering all the extra costs and potential problems.

                                _TONE_

                              • karpaydiem
                                Message 15 of 17 , Oct 14, 2006
                                  Hi Amos - I generally agree with others in that lever pressure
                                  required and the overall feel of modulation is the difference with
                                  hydraulic vs. mechanical, not so much the stopping power, given the
                                  large rotor size.

                                  However, when I built up my bike I chose to go hydraulic after reading
                                  a lot of the reviews on the mountain bike sites. I also live in San
                                  Francisco where there is a lot of braking due to the hills and my
                                  Stokemonkey/Instigator/White Industries downhill fork/Mammoth rims are
                                  not exactly light, along with about 30 lbs of luggage. With my body,
                                  the total weight is right at 300 lbs.

                                  I put a Hope on the front and a Gustav on the rear, just to try two
                                  kinds. When buying replacement pads, be sure to specify the longer
                                  wearing compound. They stop me just fine and last a long time. I
                                  replaced the originals in about 1000 miles and have 2000 on the
                                  replacments.

                                  I did have a Shimano hydraulic on a previous fairly heavy electric
                                  assist bike and it did NOT stop nearly so well as my current ones.

                                  Once set up properly, I've never had to touch the hydraulics, though I
                                  plan to change the fluid every two years, which, if you've ever worked
                                  on cars or motorcycles, is not such a huge job.

                                  If I were building again, I'd certainly try the mechanicals after
                                  reading these reviews, but given my constant steep hill braking and my
                                  hands that are usually painful from getting smashed and developing
                                  arthritis/tendonitis, I really appreciate the feel of the hydraulics.

                                  - Bill
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Oct 15, 2006
                                    > I put a Hope on the front and a Gustav on the rear, just to try two
                                    > kinds. When buying replacement pads, be sure to specify the longer
                                    > wearing compound. They stop me just fine and last a long time. I
                                    > replaced the originals in about 1000 miles and have 2000 on the
                                    > replacments.
                                    I am curious about this -- how do the two types of pads differ?
                                    The (resin) pads that came with my bike and brakes seemed to wear
                                    not much at all with lots of light around-town braking, and pretty
                                    quickly on a descent of a 300 feet (> 5% grade, I think). Obviously,
                                    the slower the wear, the less often they need adjusting
                                    > If I were building again, I'd certainly try the mechanicals after
                                    > reading these reviews, but given my constant steep hill braking and my
                                    > hands that are usually painful from getting smashed and developing
                                    > arthritis/tendonitis, I really appreciate the feel of the hydraulics.
                                    I don't know what your handlebars look like, but what I ended up
                                    doing after years of fiddling and experimenting, was a set of moustache
                                    bars, double-wrapped with handlebar tape. Assume padded gloves during
                                    all of this. The reasons/history for this choice:

                                    - plain old drop bars. I was spending all my time on the tops and
                                    not much on the drops. I am not (or perhaps, am currently not, until
                                    I get much more time on the bike again) as flexible as I was as a kid.

                                    - mountain-bike bars. These gave me numb hands within 3 miles of
                                    riding.
                                    I played a bit with their length, height, etc, but that never really
                                    worked. I tried bar ends, not that good either.

                                    - moustache bars. This let me put my hands in a variety of positions,
                                    with a primary one similar to drop bars, but not as low. This worked
                                    pretty well, including on a 300 mile trip in Nova Scotia. But I
                                    did develop some persistent numbness in the left side of my left
                                    ring finger. so...

                                    - double-wrapped moustache bars. I made a point of getting a "soft"
                                    tape for the top layer. I just taped right on top of the existing
                                    tape, with an opposite orientation. The bars are bigger, which
                                    spreads the load a little, and softer, which also helps.

                                    The double-wrapping seems to be the big item; I've got a cheap
                                    used tandem, that I am renovating on the cheap, and as yet it
                                    has mountain bars with grip shifters and bar ends. I doubled-
                                    wrapped the part of that that I could, including the bar ends,
                                    and it was quite helpful. (The moustache transform costs over
                                    $100, once you a price bars (30), bar-end shifters (60), levers
                                    (depends, see below), and tape. It can be a moderate pain to
                                    find 8-speed shifters if you are renovating an old-ish bike and
                                    don't also want to pony up for new chain and cluster).

                                    I don't think I'm done with my fiddling. I think, based on how I use
                                    them, that I need to pull them in a hair closer, so that the levers
                                    (Turtle Creek hooded levers, splayed out so the levers are sideways)
                                    are a little closer in and a little more comfortable to use climbing.
                                    If-you-do-this, you either need to get linear-pull hooded levers,
                                    (Dia-Compe makes some, they are expensive) or else install a Travel
                                    Agent.

                                    I put up an album with pictures,make of it what you will.

                                    The head-on shot shows a lot; the level and tilt, more or less
                                    (the seat is directly behind, you can see the passenger handgrips)
                                    the bar-end shifters (never had them before, a friend of mine hates
                                    them, I think they're great) the brake lever positioning, the cable
                                    routing, and the two layers (gray over cork) of handlebar tape.

                                    David
                                  • Ian Hopper
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Oct 16, 2006
                                      I too use Hydraulic Disc's... mine are a set of original (c. 1998)
                                      Hayes disk brakes and levers. My brother gave them to me and saved me
                                      a boatload of cash. I did have one issue with the front brake when it
                                      had to be redone b/c of new handlebars (albatross bars from
                                      Rivendell); the brand new fluid (less than a month old) was very
                                      dark. It was traced (I believe, because I didn't do the work) back to
                                      a worn out connector piece: I believe the rubber was decomposing in
                                      the new brake fluid and becoming part of the fluid. The part was
                                      replaced, but I'll be checking every year. I may eventually go to a
                                      manual disc brake, but it's unlikely, as I've become used to a
                                      hydraulics over the course of the last 7 years. The argument that
                                      they can break and spew and leave you without a brake are weak ones:
                                      any crash that's catastrophic enough to rupture the brake line is
                                      more than likely going to disable you enough that you won't be riding
                                      home anyways. I've crashed badly at least 4 times on my MTB with
                                      Hydraulics and never ruptured a thing (except for on my own body).
                                      Also, a cable can snap just as easy as a hydraulic line can: it's
                                      unlikely, but it can happen. My vote? Try them both out and see which
                                      you like better. Then consider your budget. :) Hydraulics usually
                                      cost more, but if you like the ease on the hands (and they are
                                      definitely easier on the hands for extended braking), they are
                                      superior for that application.