Oxford Bar

  • funkiplanet
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 19, 2008
      Does anyone have the Oxford bar by Soma? I'm interested in it and am
      looking for anyone who's used it.

      Thanks!

      http://www.somafab.com/baroxford.html
    • cstineyb
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 20, 2008
        I have the oxford bar on my touring(ish) bike-- very much like the
        Albatross or North Road, but a budget version-- not quite so pretty in
        terms of finish. Note that while they say you can't fit bar-end
        shifters, after taking a bit of steel wool to the inside of the ends
        of the bars, there's no problem getting them in there. I think
        they're a great value for an elegant, versatile, comfortable bar.

        happy trails,

        Stine
      • Devin Quince
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 20, 2008
          Stine,
          When you say touringish bike, can you elaborate please? I have a touring bike that has drops and I am considering converting to different bars and I am looking for input on doing this.
          Thanks,
          Devin

          --
          Devin Quince
          http://quinceurbanhomestead.blogspot.com/

          Start demanding safe passage on our public roads!

          "Before there were automobiles, and after there will be automobiles, there will be bicycles moving people around for transportation"
          Andy Thornley, program director for the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition

          "Being so close to death makes you realize that you are alive"
          Nels Johson 1988 Iditabike rider

          "Cars are for societies where they have yet to understand what quality of life actually means."
          Elderly Dutch cyclist encountered by Mark Jenkins near the town of Gouda along the Rijn River

          "Biofuels pit the 800 million people with cars against the 800 million who go to bed hungry."
          Lester Brown, Earth Policy Institute

        • cstineyb
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 21, 2008
            Sure--
            It's a SOMA smoothie ES roadsport bike (caliper brakes, relaxed road
            geometry). I originally built it up with Salsa Bell Lap drop bars, but
            due to some hand pain (turns out it was a tumor-- all gone now and I'm
            almost back to riding) I wanted a more upright position. I've done
            this with several bikes and really appreciate how it handles and how
            easy it is to smile and ride at the same time.

            Unless your current set up has a really short stem, you might need to
            get a longer one, depending on how upright you wish to be. There are
            a lot of swept back bars out there, all with varying lengths, but
            here's what I've found to be the case: you will need to change out
            cables (from road to mountain) and likely some housing. I have used
            Cane Creek flat top brake levers on my bikes and like the feel and the
            QR tabs-- you're also likely making the switch from 26.0 bars(road) to
            25.4(mtn) in terms of stem sizing, so a shim will also be required,
            unless you go with a new stem entirely. I tend to play around with
            stem/stack height as I dial things in, and assuming you've got a quill
            with some length on it (or for threadless: a steerer tube that hasn't
            been cut too radically) you should have lots of room to adjust. I've
            been using cork or cork/foam grips (Dimension does some decent ones)
            and they feel pretty good. In terms of shifters, it really depends on
            what your current set up is. You may need more cables/housing. I've
            transferred bar-ends over and I've also set one bike up with downtube
            shifters (9 speed cassette with 7 speed shifters --friction. Love it!)

            Hope that is some help. I'm sure your LBS can help you out in terms of
            what you'll need (assuming you're getting parts from them).

            Good Luck
            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Devin Quince" <coultraguy@...>
            wrote:

            > Stine,
            > When you say touringish bike, can you elaborate please? I have a touring
            > bike that has drops and I am considering converting to different
            bars and I
            > am looking for input on doing this.
            > Thanks,
            > Devin
            >
            > On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 6:42 AM, cstineyb <stine.stiney@...> wrote:
            >
            > > I have the oxford bar on my touring(ish) bike-- very much like the
            > > Albatross or North Road, but a budget version-- not quite so pretty in
            > > terms of finish. Note that while they say you can't fit bar-end
            > > shifters, after taking a bit of steel wool to the inside of the ends
            > > of the bars, there's no problem getting them in there. I think
            > > they're a great value for an elegant, versatile, comfortable bar.
            > >
            > > happy trails,
            > >
            > > Stine
            > >

            > --
            > Devin Quince
            > http://quinceurbanhomestead.blogspot.com/
            >
            > Start demanding safe passage on our public roads!
            >
            > "Before there were automobiles, and after there will be automobiles,
            there
            > will be bicycles moving people around for transportation"
            > Andy Thornley, program director for the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition
            >
            > "Being so close to death makes you realize that you are alive"
            > Nels Johson 1988 Iditabike rider
            >
            > "Cars are for societies where they have yet to understand what
            quality of
            > life actually means."
            > Elderly Dutch cyclist encountered by Mark Jenkins near the town of Gouda
            > along the Rijn River
            >
            > "Biofuels pit the 800 million people with cars against the 800
            million who
            > go to bed hungry."
            > Lester Brown, Earth Policy Institute

          • Corbett House
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 15, 2008
              I purchased the SOMA Noahs Arc. I love the look but the bar is a little
              narrow (570mm) for me. It is wider than the Oxford bar (540mm) so if you're
              big you may want to try it before you buy.