Bikes for girls?

  • paulamcconnellbks
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 13, 2006
      Hey radicals,

      Loved the bit in the grist, I'm seriously looking into trading in my
      roadbike for one of these. Got a question however...I'm a person of
      faith who wears dresses everyday. (Trust me - that can be quite
      radical too) What can you do for a chain guard so that my calico
      dresses don't get covered in grease?

      Living simply,
      Paula
    • Susan
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 12, 2006
        I couldn't help but notice that the chainguard on my Schwinn looks
        like it would work just fine even if there were an extra mess of chain
        attached to it. So unless your skirts are really full (I think - I'm
        not good at picturing things!) I think any regular chain guard could
        still work.

        I am really liking my bike now. I was having second thoughts on
        spending that much money but now that it has happened, I really have
        taken the bike places already that I'd have hopped into the car for,
        because I wasn't going to have to figure out how to manage that dish
        of food. THey're also just plain bigger than they look in the
        pictures - about time and a half what I had imagined (but then, I
        don't imagine sizes well...)

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "paulamcconnellbks"
        <paulamcconnellbks@...> wrote:

        > Hey radicals,
        >
        > Loved the bit in the grist, I'm seriously looking into trading in my
        > roadbike for one of these. Got a question however...I'm a person of
        > faith who wears dresses everyday. (Trust me - that can be quite
        > radical too) What can you do for a chain guard so that my calico
        > dresses don't get covered in grease?
        >
        > Living simply,
        > Paula

      • Paula McConnell
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 12, 2006
          Hi Susan!

          Thanks for thinking of me!  I have decided to sell my bike and buy an xtracycle but I still don't know if that means finding a decent bike and ordering the kit or ordering a whole longbike.  I'm moving into a city this coming August and want the bike to replace my car but for this to really work I'm going to need to wear my regular clothes as much as possible.  I don't want some wimpy cruiser or hybrid, I was a serious cyclist and still want a serious bike...but with a chain guard and mud-flaps...you see my dilemma...

          Keep sending me reports on how you like your new new xtracycle. It'll help me convince my hubby that selling my brand-new road bike for one of these is not so crazy!

          And if you are really curious on what I wear...check out my blog. I have pictures!

          Peace,
          Paula
          www.leadingorled.blogspot.com

          <paulamcconnellbks@...> wrote:

          > Hey radicals,
          >
          > Loved the bit in the grist, I'm seriously looking into trading in my
          > roadbike for one of these.  Got a question however...I'm a person of
          > faith who wears dresses everyday.  (Trust me - that can be quite
          > radical too)  What can you do for a chain guard so that my calico
          > dresses don't get covered in grease?
          >
          > Living simply,
          > Paula

        • Susan
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 12, 2006
            Believe it or not, I just saw your blog before I cam here - I found
            it googling "Quaker Dress" since our college is doing "Black History
            LIve" and they weren't quite ready for me to be Sojourner Truth, so
            I'm going to be the Quaker lady who took her in. (I will give clues
            and the students will guess who I'm talking about.) I'm not going to
            have to work too hard on the costume :-)

            THe complete bikes look like pretty good bikes (it's not a brand I'm
            familiar with though). I really like my Trek 7500 FX which is really
            only a hybrid on the handlebars (and the big tires I didn't get - I
            opted for 25 cm tires) - don't know how it would handle mudflaps &
            chain guard. Trek also has some all-out "commuting" bikes, too ...
            though it seems I can't find as many as there were last year - talk
            about a marketing error! (http://www.commuterbicycle.com/ had a link
            to one that had a protected chain... but it doesn't seem to be
            accessible from this year's site... but that may mean you could get it
            cheaply). I know my bike shop guy would love the challenge of
            making a workable bike like that. Illinois is a little out of the
            way, though.

            <paulamcconnellbks@...> wrote:

            > Hi Susan!
            >
            > Thanks for thinking of me! I have decided to sell my bike and buy
            an xtracycle but I still don't know if that means finding a decent
            bike and ordering the kit or ordering a whole longbike. I'm moving
            into a city this coming August and want the bike to replace my car but
            for this to really work I'm going to need to wear my regular clothes
            as much as possible. I don't want some wimpy cruiser or hybrid, I
            was a serious cyclist and still want a serious bike...but with a chain
            guard and mud-flaps...you see my dilemma...

            > Keep sending me reports on how you like your new new xtracycle.
            It'll help me convince my hubby that selling my brand-new road bike
            for one of these is not so crazy!

            > And if you are really curious on what I wear...check out my blog.
            I have pictures!

            > Peace,
            > Paula
            > www.leadingorled.blogspot.com
            >
            > Susan <maps@...> wrote: I couldn't help but notice that the
            chainguard on my Schwinn looks
            > like it would work just fine even if there were an extra mess of chain
            > attached to it. So unless your skirts are really full (I think - I'm
            > not good at picturing things!) I think any regular chain guard could
            > still work.
            >
            > I am really liking my bike now. I was having second thoughts on
            > spending that much money but now that it has happened, I really have
            > taken the bike places already that I'd have hopped into the car for,
            > because I wasn't going to have to figure out how to manage that dish
            > of food. THey're also just plain bigger than they look in the
            > pictures - about time and a half what I had imagined (but then, I
            > don't imagine sizes well...)
            >

            > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "paulamcconnellbks"
            > <paulamcconnellbks@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hey radicals,
            > >
            > > Loved the bit in the grist, I'm seriously looking into trading in my
            > > roadbike for one of these. Got a question however...I'm a person of
            > > faith who wears dresses everyday. (Trust me - that can be quite
            > > radical too) What can you do for a chain guard so that my calico
            > > dresses don't get covered in grease?
            > >
            > > Living simply,
            > > Paula
            > >

            > You're getting this message because you signed up to be an
            Xtracycle roots radical.

            > ride to believe.

            > Konjac root
            Roots blower
            Ginseng root
            Root canal
            Root canal therapy
            Burdock root

            Service.

          • TheJonesgal@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 12, 2006
              I have a Raleigh "girl bike" It's only a 7-speed cruiser but I do love it. My commute is only 3 miles each way and I had a very limited budget when I got it and the xtracycle at the same time.
              Without riding during the rainy month of January, and now riding again, the hills are pretty difficult and I found myself daydreaming about something easier to get up the hills as I was feeling ready to keel over yesterday! I know I'll get back in shape soon though.

              Gerry
            • fahrner@pobox.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 12, 2006
                > I have a Raleigh "girl bike" It's only a 7-speed cruiser but I do love it.
                > My commute is only 3 miles each way and I had a very limited budget when I
                > got
                > it and the xtracycle at the same time.
                > Without riding during the rainy month of January, and now riding again,
                > the
                > hills are pretty difficult and I found myself daydreaming about something
                > easier to get up the hills as I was feeling ready to keel over yesterday!

                You've gotten at the issue with chain guards: they're pretty easy to get
                (or put) on bikes that don't have a lot of gears. Lots of gears generally
                mean multiple front chainrings, and the more effective kinds of
                chainguards don't get along with front derailleurs. If you don't need to
                climb steep hills with cargo, there are plenty of bikes that would
                accommodate calico-skirted riding. Kipchoge rides an Electra Townie at
                least some of the time: I'd provide a direct link if Electra's site
                weren't done in link-hostile Flash (sigh). Some Townies come with
                few-enough gears to come also with chainguards.

                Would it be acceptable to wear leg coverings under the dress and hitch the
                dress up enough while riding to keep it clean? Something like bloomers:
                http://www.jolique.com/undergarments/bloomers%20_and_bicycles.htm
              • Andrew Janjigian
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 13, 2006
                  The one thing to keep in mind about cruisers or other hub-geared bikes with a Freeradical mounted on them is that the extra load can do in a hub gear fairly quickly, in my experience. I had my first build on a Bianchi Milano, and it turned crunchy within the first year. I could have been a fluke, but I'm pretty sure I've heard similar stories from others.

                  And hub gears are more expensive and more hassle to replace than derailleurs when they do go.

                  My 2¢,
                  Andrew

                  On Feb 12, 2006, at 10:34 PM, fahrner@... wrote:

                  > I have a Raleigh "girl bike" It's only a 7-speed cruiser but I do love it.
                  > My commute is only 3 miles each way and I had a very limited budget when I
                  > got
                  > it and the xtracycle at the same time.
                  > Without riding during the rainy month of January, and now riding again,
                  > the
                  > hills are pretty difficult and I found myself daydreaming about something
                  > easier  to get up the hills as I was feeling ready to keel over yesterday!

                  You've gotten at the issue with chain guards: they're pretty easy to get
                  (or put) on bikes that don't have a lot of gears. Lots of gears generally
                  mean multiple front chainrings, and the more effective kinds of
                  chainguards don't get along with front derailleurs. If you don't need to
                  climb steep hills with cargo, there are plenty of bikes that would
                  accommodate calico-skirted riding. Kipchoge rides an Electra Townie at
                  least some of the time: I'd provide a direct link if Electra's site
                  weren't done in link-hostile Flash (sigh). Some Townies come with
                  few-enough gears to come also with chainguards.

                  Would it be acceptable to wear leg coverings under the dress and hitch the
                  dress up enough while riding to keep it clean? Something like bloomers:
                  http://www.jolique.com/undergarments/bloomers%20_and_bicycles.htm

                  ride to believe.

                  Konjac root Roots blower Ginseng root
                  Root canal Root canal therapy Burdock root

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS