Re: [rootsradicals] New Surly frame

  • John Speare
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 4, 2006
      On 10/4/06, Tone <Tone@...> wrote:

      > The issue some Xtracycle users have of a normal kickstand versus wanting a center stand just occurred to me, so I went back to take a look at the various photos I have seen of the "SurlyXycle." Unfortunately it seems Surly's frame just uses the standard kickstand. I kind of wished they might have thought ahead and tried to integrate a center stand into the design some how. L

      I agree Tone, It's a major mistake in my mind too. Overall the
      kickstand/center stand issue is probably the biggest design foul on an
      other wise killer piece of hardware (the xtracycle that is).

      Once you put a center stand on the xtracycle it becomes about 100%
      more usable when loading. Especially if you have a kid on the bike as
      you load. My understanding is that the center stands that are sold by
      xtracycle are not usable with the wide loaders?? I find that hard to
      believe, but that's what I've been told.

      The stock kickstand is ok once you learn how to load (groceries, say)
      in the right order inot the freeloaders. But parking the loaded bike
      on anything but the most stable, flat spot is pretty if-y.

      I've have a brake-lever acctuated center stand on my xtracycle for the
      last few months now and I cannot imagine going back to the stock
      stand. My daughter can sit on the bike (on a front mounted seat that
      sits on teh top tube) while I load up the bike any old way.

      I really wish the folks at xtracycle would look at integrating/selling
      something like this -- it's such a good solution.

      Pictures and more info on the stand here: http://www.johndogfood.com/x#stand

      John

      --
      John Speare