RE: [rootsradicals] New Surly frame

    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 4, 2006

                  The issue some Xtracycle users have of a normal kickstand versus wanting a center stand just occurred to me, so I went back to take a look at the various photos I have seen of the “SurlyXycle.“ Unfortunately it seems Surly’s frame just uses the standard kickstand. I kind of wished they might have thought ahead and tried to integrate a center stand into the design some how. L

      _TONE_

    • John Speare
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 4, 2006
        On 10/4/06, Tone <Tone@...> wrote:

        > The issue some Xtracycle users have of a normal kickstand versus wanting a center stand just occurred to me, so I went back to take a look at the various photos I have seen of the "SurlyXycle." Unfortunately it seems Surly's frame just uses the standard kickstand. I kind of wished they might have thought ahead and tried to integrate a center stand into the design some how. L

        I agree Tone, It's a major mistake in my mind too. Overall the
        kickstand/center stand issue is probably the biggest design foul on an
        other wise killer piece of hardware (the xtracycle that is).

        Once you put a center stand on the xtracycle it becomes about 100%
        more usable when loading. Especially if you have a kid on the bike as
        you load. My understanding is that the center stands that are sold by
        xtracycle are not usable with the wide loaders?? I find that hard to
        believe, but that's what I've been told.

        The stock kickstand is ok once you learn how to load (groceries, say)
        in the right order inot the freeloaders. But parking the loaded bike
        on anything but the most stable, flat spot is pretty if-y.

        I've have a brake-lever acctuated center stand on my xtracycle for the
        last few months now and I cannot imagine going back to the stock
        stand. My daughter can sit on the bike (on a front mounted seat that
        sits on teh top tube) while I load up the bike any old way.

        I really wish the folks at xtracycle would look at integrating/selling
        something like this -- it's such a good solution.

        Pictures and more info on the stand here: http://www.johndogfood.com/x#stand

        John

        --
        John Speare