Re: [rootsradicals] New Surly frame

  • John Speare
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
      On 10/3/06, Christopher Palmer <ctp@...> wrote:

      > I saw the Big Dummy at Interbike last week, and since Kipchoge was standing
      > there, and the guy at Surly introduced me to him, I'd say the project is on
      > the up-and-up. BTW - the bike is GORGEOUS!!! I have lots of pix of it,
      > but I don't know if it's kosher to post a link here or not. If someone in
      > power gives the go ahead I'll post a link.

      There are a number of pics already on teh internet. this one:
      http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=2289363&postcount=29
      i think the guy on fixedgear had one up too.

      I've seen it a couple times in the last week.

      --
      John Speare
      Spokane, WA USA
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
        Okay, cool - well if MTBR and DirtRag can post pix so can I! LOL

        Start here for the Big Dummy -
        http://flickr.com/photos/ctp/256895978/in/set-72157594306639543/

        I haven't added my own commentary yet (i'm about halfway thru my Interbike
        pix titles' and rants)

        CTP

        At 10:44 AM 10/3/2006, you wrote:
        >There are a number of pics already on teh internet. this one:
        >http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=2289363&postcount=29
        >i think the guy on fixedgear had one up too.
        >
        >I've seen it a couple times in the last week.
      • Devian Gilbert
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006

          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006

            Christopher,

                        Thanks a bunch for posting a link to your Interbike photos. So far your photos gave me the best overall picture of the SurlyXycle (Just my abbreviation for it). I can now see what Todd had mentioned about the supportive triangle structure above the dropouts. That is really great. The SurlyXycle looks hot!

                        Now I figure I know what my next serious work frame will be, but I am still going to wait until my current phatt tube aluminum Univega 750FS completely gives on me. Amazingly so far it has survived about 10 years of constant hardcore riding in New York City streets in all kinds of weather as well as number of loaded touring trips. About a year ago when my odometer failed I had around 20,000 miles on that one frame, and I only had that odometer on the bike for about half of the bike’s life! I wonder if the Surly frame will hold out as long. J

                        Something I was thinking about in Surly’s design is that triangular structure Todd mentioned would also provide some level of a supportive backing to loads. That would eliminate the need to install a disc brake protector.

                        Also from at least one of Christopher’s photos it kind of looks like the mounted footsie/footsy platform clips onto a secondary shorter parallel tube. You can JUST barely notice it connecting to the frame at the rear end of the footsie in this photo of Christopher’s:

            http://flickr.com/photos/ctp/256914335/in/set-72157594306639543/

                        Does anyone know or understand the reasoning to this additional parallel shorter tube? I would think the frame could have been made in such a way for the footsie to mount on without additional tubing.

                        One NON-Xtracycle question I am curious about for anyone, who went to Interbike, is if they noticed any companies (like Dahon for instance) showing 20” wheeled folding bikes WITH disc brake compatibility? Even though my Xtracycled bike is my primary (and only) bike, I have wanted to get a 20” folder. This way it would be way more convenient to travel abroad and tour with. The thing is I would really prefer to have disc brakes, so I have been waiting on that idea until some company comes out with a 20” wheeled folder with disc brake compatibility. So far I have not seen anything like that on the market. I figure if I ever got any 20” wheeled folding frame I could always switch out a front fork with disc brake mounts, so that would not be a major problem, but rear disc brakes would still be an unobtainable component.

            _TONE_

          • Christopher Palmer
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
              >Christopher,
              > Thanks a bunch for posting a link to your Interbike photos.

              No worries!

              > One NON-Xtracycle question I am curious about for
              >anyone, who went to Interbike, is if they noticed any companies
              >(like Dahon for instance) showing 20" wheeled folding bikes WITH
              >disc brake compatibility?

              Yep, Dahon has a bike called the Groove with disk brakes. I think
              it's retailing for $999...but don't quote me :)

              Other than that I didn't see any, but that doesn't mean they aren't there.

              CTP
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006

                Chris,

                            MAJOR Thanks for the heads up on the disc brake Dahon 20” folder! I am definitely going to be looking into it! J Sweet!

                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 4, 2006

                              The issue some Xtracycle users have of a normal kickstand versus wanting a center stand just occurred to me, so I went back to take a look at the various photos I have seen of the “SurlyXycle.“ Unfortunately it seems Surly’s frame just uses the standard kickstand. I kind of wished they might have thought ahead and tried to integrate a center stand into the design some how. L

                  _TONE_

                • John Speare
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 4, 2006
                    On 10/4/06, Tone <Tone@...> wrote:

                    > The issue some Xtracycle users have of a normal kickstand versus wanting a center stand just occurred to me, so I went back to take a look at the various photos I have seen of the "SurlyXycle." Unfortunately it seems Surly's frame just uses the standard kickstand. I kind of wished they might have thought ahead and tried to integrate a center stand into the design some how. L

                    I agree Tone, It's a major mistake in my mind too. Overall the
                    kickstand/center stand issue is probably the biggest design foul on an
                    other wise killer piece of hardware (the xtracycle that is).

                    Once you put a center stand on the xtracycle it becomes about 100%
                    more usable when loading. Especially if you have a kid on the bike as
                    you load. My understanding is that the center stands that are sold by
                    xtracycle are not usable with the wide loaders?? I find that hard to
                    believe, but that's what I've been told.

                    The stock kickstand is ok once you learn how to load (groceries, say)
                    in the right order inot the freeloaders. But parking the loaded bike
                    on anything but the most stable, flat spot is pretty if-y.

                    I've have a brake-lever acctuated center stand on my xtracycle for the
                    last few months now and I cannot imagine going back to the stock
                    stand. My daughter can sit on the bike (on a front mounted seat that
                    sits on teh top tube) while I load up the bike any old way.

                    I really wish the folks at xtracycle would look at integrating/selling
                    something like this -- it's such a good solution.

                    Pictures and more info on the stand here: http://www.johndogfood.com/x#stand

                    John