Serial no.

  • aussiegaya
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 1, 2006
      Hi everyone,

      I have just been in the xtracycle forum - gee, they weren't kidding
      about the spam problem! It's getting a bit yuk in there unfortunately.

      Anyway, really boring question: Can someone tell me how long the
      serial no. should be (or what it should look like) and where it is?

      I think I've found it underneath but I want to make sure.

      Thanks.
    • Pete.B
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 1, 2006
        They have a serial number?

        Must go look now.

        Pete.B

        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006

                      I forget how long the serial for the FreeRadical actually is since my bike is locked up outside, but I can tell you it is on the bottom side of mounting plate for the kickstand.

          _TONE_

        • Ian Hopper
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 2, 2006
            My serial number is on the kickstand bridge: I bought my FreeRadical
            kit in December of 2005, so xtracycle may have changed where they
            place the serial number. When I was talking to Laughter (who works
            for Xtracycle) about how her Xtracycle got stolen, she didn't even
            remember there BEING a serial number on hers, but hers was much older
            as well.

            Those of you who've seen the Surly "BIG DUMMY" photos taken at
            Interbike know that the LongTail movement is gathering steam; I
            remember there being some mention by Kipchoge that Xtracycle
            themselves might be offering a dedicated longtail frame but that it
            was in prototype: is the Big Dummy a collaboration with Surly so that
            Xtracycle doesn't have to make their own? Though I don't own a Surly,
            the feedback seems to be nearly universally positive, so a
            partnership seems like a logical choice, but maybe that's just
            wishful thinking? Maybe Xtracycle would build it differently?

            For now I'll be continuing to ride my bolt-together version, but
            eventually I want a purpose built longtail... the idea of no flex
            between frames and a solid steel platform makes me feel all squishy
            inside...
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006

                          It seems that everyone is pretty much speculating about Surly’s “Big Dummy” frame and if Xtracycle will be building their own single frame bike version. From the photos I have seen of the “Big Dummy,” my guess is Surly probably licensed or obtained permission to create their frame, with the idea of Xtracycle providing the marketed fitted components like the snap deck, footsies, etc. Otherwise wouldn’t there be legal issues for Surly, since they already revealed the “Big Dummy” with Xtracycle’s components?

                          I have one major concern with the idea of a single frame long-tail bike. Since I have owned an Xtracycle over three or four years ago, I am already on my THIRD FreeRadical frame. My two previous FreeRadical frames developed cracks just behind the dropouts, which is the weakest part of the FreeRadical. Keep in mind I work as a messenger in NYC and I may very well carry heavier loads on a more frequents basis than the average Xtracycle user. Of course the guys at Xtracycle were super about everything and replaced the frames for free both times. I just paid shipping for the old frame back to them.

                          Anyway, with this in mind, my concern with a single frame full-bike version is whether the frame, Surly’s or otherwise, would still have that particular weak spot. It is one thing to have a FreeRadical frame break on you and just have to replace the FreeRadical, but imagine the incredible hassle and probably cost of having to replace an entire long-tail bike! While the FreeRadical fame is in the shop or being shipped back, etc… you can at least still ride your bike around, but that would not be the case with a full single-frame long-tail bike.

              _TONE_

            • todd fahrner
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
                On 10/3/06, Tone <Tone@...> wrote:

                > It seems that everyone is pretty much speculating about Surly's
                > "Big Dummy" frame and if Xtracycle will be building their own single frame
                > bike version. From the photos I have seen of the "Big Dummy," my guess is
                > Surly probably licensed or obtained permission to create their frame, with
                > the idea of Xtracycle providing the marketed fitted components like the snap
                > deck, footsies, etc. Otherwise wouldn't there be legal issues for Surly,
                > since they already revealed the "Big Dummy" with Xtracycle's components?

                All I know is that this was an Xtracycle-Surly friendly project, not
                some kind of rip-off job like some are speculating. I have also heard
                that Quality Bike Parts (QBP, Surly's parent company) will be
                distributing Xtracycle parts sometime soon (Can anybody confirm?). As
                far as I know, Xtracycle's patent covers the retrofit kit idea, not
                any longtail that happens to accept the racks Xtracycle designed and
                makes. It seems to me that people getting behind this rack design
                helps rather than hurts Xtracycle, big time.

                > I have one major concern with the idea of a single frame
                > long-tail bike. Since I have owned an Xtracycle over three or four years
                > ago, I am already on my THIRD FreeRadical frame. My two previous FreeRadical
                > frames developed cracks just behind the dropouts, which is the weakest part
                > of the FreeRadical.

                Seems to me that it breaks there because the rear bridge is
                cantilevered out a long way on the unbraced tubes rear of the
                dropouts. (This is why Xtracycle recommends against heavy loads rear
                of the dropouts, like no second adult passenger.) Surly's design
                appears to address this with that triangular structure above the
                dropouts supporting the rear bridge. Surly has a reputation for
                building frames that are anything but weak. Heavy, that's how people
                criticize Surly. Not weak.
              • Christopher Palmer
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
                  At 05:37 AM 10/3/2006, you wrote:
                  >my guess is Surly probably licensed or obtained permission to create their
                  >frame, with the idea of Xtracycle providing the marketed fitted components
                  >like the snap deck, footsies, etc. Otherwise wouldn't there be legal
                  >issues for Surly, since they already revealed the "Big Dummy" with
                  >Xtracycle's components?

                  I saw the Big Dummy at Interbike last week, and since Kipchoge was standing
                  there, and the guy at Surly introduced me to him, I'd say the project is on
                  the up-and-up. BTW - the bike is GORGEOUS!!! I have lots of pix of it,
                  but I don't know if it's kosher to post a link here or not. If someone in
                  power gives the go ahead I'll post a link.

                  > Anyway, with this in mind, my concern with a single frame full-bike
                  > version is whether the frame, Surly's or otherwise, would still have that
                  > particular weak spot.

                  Looking at the prototype it was clear that Surly knows what they are doing
                  (no big surpise)

                  CTP
                • John Speare
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
                    On 10/3/06, Christopher Palmer <ctp@...> wrote:

                    > I saw the Big Dummy at Interbike last week, and since Kipchoge was standing
                    > there, and the guy at Surly introduced me to him, I'd say the project is on
                    > the up-and-up. BTW - the bike is GORGEOUS!!! I have lots of pix of it,
                    > but I don't know if it's kosher to post a link here or not. If someone in
                    > power gives the go ahead I'll post a link.

                    There are a number of pics already on teh internet. this one:
                    http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=2289363&postcount=29
                    i think the guy on fixedgear had one up too.

                    I've seen it a couple times in the last week.

                    --
                    John Speare
                    Spokane, WA USA
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
                      Okay, cool - well if MTBR and DirtRag can post pix so can I! LOL

                      Start here for the Big Dummy -
                      http://flickr.com/photos/ctp/256895978/in/set-72157594306639543/

                      I haven't added my own commentary yet (i'm about halfway thru my Interbike
                      pix titles' and rants)

                      CTP

                      At 10:44 AM 10/3/2006, you wrote:
                      >There are a number of pics already on teh internet. this one:
                      >http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=2289363&postcount=29
                      >i think the guy on fixedgear had one up too.
                      >
                      >I've seen it a couple times in the last week.
                    • Devian Gilbert
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006

                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006

                          Christopher,

                                      Thanks a bunch for posting a link to your Interbike photos. So far your photos gave me the best overall picture of the SurlyXycle (Just my abbreviation for it). I can now see what Todd had mentioned about the supportive triangle structure above the dropouts. That is really great. The SurlyXycle looks hot!

                                      Now I figure I know what my next serious work frame will be, but I am still going to wait until my current phatt tube aluminum Univega 750FS completely gives on me. Amazingly so far it has survived about 10 years of constant hardcore riding in New York City streets in all kinds of weather as well as number of loaded touring trips. About a year ago when my odometer failed I had around 20,000 miles on that one frame, and I only had that odometer on the bike for about half of the bike’s life! I wonder if the Surly frame will hold out as long. J

                                      Something I was thinking about in Surly’s design is that triangular structure Todd mentioned would also provide some level of a supportive backing to loads. That would eliminate the need to install a disc brake protector.

                                      Also from at least one of Christopher’s photos it kind of looks like the mounted footsie/footsy platform clips onto a secondary shorter parallel tube. You can JUST barely notice it connecting to the frame at the rear end of the footsie in this photo of Christopher’s:

                          http://flickr.com/photos/ctp/256914335/in/set-72157594306639543/

                                      Does anyone know or understand the reasoning to this additional parallel shorter tube? I would think the frame could have been made in such a way for the footsie to mount on without additional tubing.

                                      One NON-Xtracycle question I am curious about for anyone, who went to Interbike, is if they noticed any companies (like Dahon for instance) showing 20” wheeled folding bikes WITH disc brake compatibility? Even though my Xtracycled bike is my primary (and only) bike, I have wanted to get a 20” folder. This way it would be way more convenient to travel abroad and tour with. The thing is I would really prefer to have disc brakes, so I have been waiting on that idea until some company comes out with a 20” wheeled folder with disc brake compatibility. So far I have not seen anything like that on the market. I figure if I ever got any 20” wheeled folding frame I could always switch out a front fork with disc brake mounts, so that would not be a major problem, but rear disc brakes would still be an unobtainable component.

                          _TONE_

                        • Christopher Palmer
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
                            >Christopher,
                            > Thanks a bunch for posting a link to your Interbike photos.

                            No worries!

                            > One NON-Xtracycle question I am curious about for
                            >anyone, who went to Interbike, is if they noticed any companies
                            >(like Dahon for instance) showing 20" wheeled folding bikes WITH
                            >disc brake compatibility?

                            Yep, Dahon has a bike called the Groove with disk brakes. I think
                            it's retailing for $999...but don't quote me :)

                            Other than that I didn't see any, but that doesn't mean they aren't there.

                            CTP
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006

                              Chris,

                                          MAJOR Thanks for the heads up on the disc brake Dahon 20” folder! I am definitely going to be looking into it! J Sweet!

                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 4, 2006

                                            The issue some Xtracycle users have of a normal kickstand versus wanting a center stand just occurred to me, so I went back to take a look at the various photos I have seen of the “SurlyXycle.“ Unfortunately it seems Surly’s frame just uses the standard kickstand. I kind of wished they might have thought ahead and tried to integrate a center stand into the design some how. L

                                _TONE_

                              • John Speare
                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 4, 2006
                                  On 10/4/06, Tone <Tone@...> wrote:

                                  > The issue some Xtracycle users have of a normal kickstand versus wanting a center stand just occurred to me, so I went back to take a look at the various photos I have seen of the "SurlyXycle." Unfortunately it seems Surly's frame just uses the standard kickstand. I kind of wished they might have thought ahead and tried to integrate a center stand into the design some how. L

                                  I agree Tone, It's a major mistake in my mind too. Overall the
                                  kickstand/center stand issue is probably the biggest design foul on an
                                  other wise killer piece of hardware (the xtracycle that is).

                                  Once you put a center stand on the xtracycle it becomes about 100%
                                  more usable when loading. Especially if you have a kid on the bike as
                                  you load. My understanding is that the center stands that are sold by
                                  xtracycle are not usable with the wide loaders?? I find that hard to
                                  believe, but that's what I've been told.

                                  The stock kickstand is ok once you learn how to load (groceries, say)
                                  in the right order inot the freeloaders. But parking the loaded bike
                                  on anything but the most stable, flat spot is pretty if-y.

                                  I've have a brake-lever acctuated center stand on my xtracycle for the
                                  last few months now and I cannot imagine going back to the stock
                                  stand. My daughter can sit on the bike (on a front mounted seat that
                                  sits on teh top tube) while I load up the bike any old way.

                                  I really wish the folks at xtracycle would look at integrating/selling
                                  something like this -- it's such a good solution.

                                  Pictures and more info on the stand here: http://www.johndogfood.com/x#stand

                                  John