Worldbike Auctions Big Dummy Online- a message from Xtracycle

  • xtracycleinc
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 4, 2008
      First, let me just say that we should take a moment to realize how far
      we've come. Xtracycle is beginning to round a curve in its evolution
      as a company, just as the country seems to be crying out for an
      alternative to the almighty car.

      Many folks who participate on this list are active in their
      communities, singing the praises of the Xtracycle and all it stands to
      offer. You've inspired us, and you've inspired others, and together
      we can look out on a future for ourselves and our kids that seems a
      little brighter, simpler, perhaps even a little greener.

      Xtracycle has experienced a year of sizable sales expansion, coupled
      with a large push to release products showcased at last years'
      Interbike. In spite of aggressive ordering on our end, we still fell
      short of demand and have been out of stock for a month now. We will
      be restocked before August is through, and we should have a bunch of
      new accessories coming on-line in September.

      But between now and then, there's an important opportunity in front of
      us that speaks to the greater mission that underlies everything we do
      at Xtracycle - taking the dialogue about bicycle as a lifestyle tool,
      in fact as a way of life, to the world at large.

      Aren't bicycles more broadly accepted everywhere else but here, you
      ask? Well, I respond, sort of. Some parts of the world use the
      bicycle out of necessity or out of lack of other options, but the
      technology in place is archaic, and a hindrance to adoption and use.
      In other parts of the world that have been bike based by tradition,
      the automobile industry has made inroads and displaced bike culture.

      Worldbike is working to establish bicycle based transport tools for
      people and their stuff in areas where biking isn't an option, and grow
      it in areas where it already is.

      Worldbike is a powerful force, and is currently teaming with UN
      Habitat to do some amazing work in 'informal settlements' (read:
      slums) in Kenya. You can read about their work at
      http://www.worldbike.org

      To support their mission, Xtracycle has donated an 18" Big Dummy
      complete to Worldbike which is presently being auctioned off at this
      online non-profit auction house:

      http://www.cmarket.com/auction/AuctionHome.action?auctionId=70742791

      We realize that some of you may be looking for a Big Dummy Complete
      (Xtracycle will only be selling frames and forks until 2009) or you
      may know folks who are. Realize that 100% of your dollars spent
      (minus a few % for the online auction service) go straight to
      Worldbike to provide services. We have done our homework, and we can
      say that Worldbike is truly a low-overhead non-profit that channels
      funds where they should go.

      As of August 4th, the current bid on the Big Dummy complete for sale
      is $2000 - well below what you would pay for a brand new Big Dummy
      with comparable parts.

      Has there ever been a better opportunity purchase a life changing
      bike, while knowing that all of that money is going to manifest a
      vision for a world bursting with bicycle travel?

      It's an exciting opportunity to give and receive. And what we've
      learned here at Xtracycle is that we can't do this without you. We
      will craft the tools, but you will build a world with them, magnificent.

      We are happy to make this possible, in fact, it is a gift to see this
      amazing bike turn into dollars that Worldbike can use right away.

      The auction closes on August 12th, so don't delay.

      Regards,
      Nate Byerley
      President
      Xtracycle Inc.
    • The DINKs
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 5, 2008
        Great cause...now if this were only a 16"....

        Also, do you have any update on when xtracycle will have some of the accessories from Interbike available?  Specifically, the Al snapdeck, padded cover, ratcheted stand, etc?

        MaryBeth
        www.dinkswithkids.com

      • Nate Byerley
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 7, 2008
          Most of the Interbike accessories have taken about a year to work
          out. Many will be coming on line at the end of the month. The
          Kickback kickstand at the end of September. We won't be introducing
          any new products at Interbike that we don't have available for sale.
          Which is to say that we've had one more thing under wraps this year
          that will be released at Interbike and actually available (in limited
          qtys.): Radish. We'll be sending out a newsletter about this stuff
          very soon - so make sure you're subscribed to the XC newsletter -
          which can be accessed from the homepage http://www.xtracycle.com.-n