Re: [rootsradicals] Rear tire sidewall

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3, 2008
      On 2008-08-03, at 6:58 AM, George Cortez Jr wrote:

      > Is there a tire out there that has a stiff sidewall? When loaded my x
      > wiggles around alot and by some testing,
      > I found a good portion comes from the tire. I have specialized tires
      > on
      > there now.

      What size is your tire? I've never compared sidewall stiffness, but
      I've also never experienced what I thought was that much wiggle. My
      tires are 26 x 2.35 Schwalbe Big Apple, on Sun Rhyno Lite rims, and if
      you grab them, you can sort of put a little wiggle on them, but it
      takes a lot of force. There's a tremendous spreading force on the rim
      itself.

      I don't notice much difference between 40 and 60 pounds in the tires,
      except that I'm a little slower at 40psi.

      Is it possible that the wiggle comes from the tread, instead? When I
      have snow tires, the little studs pick up every irregularity in the
      road, and it can feel rather fiddly.