Rear tire sidewall

  • George Cortez Jr
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3, 2008
      Hi folks
      Is there a tire out there that has a stiff sidewall? When loaded my x
      wiggles around alot and by some testing,
      I found a good portion comes from the tire. I have specialized tires on
      there now.

      George
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 3, 2008
        On 2008-08-03, at 6:58 AM, George Cortez Jr wrote:

        > Is there a tire out there that has a stiff sidewall? When loaded my x
        > wiggles around alot and by some testing,
        > I found a good portion comes from the tire. I have specialized tires
        > on
        > there now.

        What size is your tire? I've never compared sidewall stiffness, but
        I've also never experienced what I thought was that much wiggle. My
        tires are 26 x 2.35 Schwalbe Big Apple, on Sun Rhyno Lite rims, and if
        you grab them, you can sort of put a little wiggle on them, but it
        takes a lot of force. There's a tremendous spreading force on the rim
        itself.

        I don't notice much difference between 40 and 60 pounds in the tires,
        except that I'm a little slower at 40psi.

        Is it possible that the wiggle comes from the tread, instead? When I
        have snow tires, the little studs pick up every irregularity in the
        road, and it can feel rather fiddly.