Re: my chain skips

  • Mark Dieter
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2008
      I have a Dutch-made bakfiets with a shimano 8-speed internal rear hub.
      I have never heard about the internals not being good for weight.
      The carrying capacity of the Bakfiets is rated at 300 lbs in the front
      box and 70 lbs on the rear rack. In my view internal gearing is great
      for heavy loads because when you have to stop quickly and cannot
      downshift, you can just shift after you are stopped.

      Mark
      Oakland, CA
    • fredpinto.geo
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2008
        I couldn't find the OP message, but besides the chain tensioner, there
        are some rear derailleurs that allow some tensioning on their own as
        well. My X'ed Gary Fisher has a Shimano STX RC that has two sets of
        internal tension, low and high. Of course the derailleur has to be
        fully disassemble in order to be set to the high tension position, but
        it might be worthy googling it to find out if the OP derailleur has
        this option. When I was installing my freeradical kit I decided to do
        it since I expected that the chain would move vertically much more
        than before, and I believe I was right. But after the adjustment I
        have no problems with the chain slipping or jumping out.
        Regards,
        Fred
      • Bruce Alan Wilson
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2008
          Re: my chain skips

          When I was in HS, I had a hub gear bike and I changed tires on it all the time.  It isn't all that hard.  And, IIRC, Surly recommends a Rolhoff for the Big Dummy.

          Bruce Alan Wilson

        • threeohm@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2008
            Changing a tire or fixing a flat on my Big Dummy with Rohloff takes literally one additional 5 second step of removing the external gear mechanism via a single thumb screw. Other than that there is no difference at all.

            Safe riding,

            Vik

            From: "Bruce Alan Wilson" <bawilson@...>
            Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 00:12:43 -0400