Re: [rootsradicals] Re: my chain skips

  • Khalid Mateen
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 2, 2008

      Hi, took my bicycle to the LBS.  I am a currently getting the whole drive train replaced.  It cost me a bit but this is the first time I have paid to get things replaced and service.  Had the bicycle for over 10 years and it is over due.

      Thanks

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2008
        I have a Dutch-made bakfiets with a shimano 8-speed internal rear hub.
        I have never heard about the internals not being good for weight.
        The carrying capacity of the Bakfiets is rated at 300 lbs in the front
        box and 70 lbs on the rear rack. In my view internal gearing is great
        for heavy loads because when you have to stop quickly and cannot
        downshift, you can just shift after you are stopped.

        Mark
        Oakland, CA
      • fredpinto.geo
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2008
          I couldn't find the OP message, but besides the chain tensioner, there
          are some rear derailleurs that allow some tensioning on their own as
          well. My X'ed Gary Fisher has a Shimano STX RC that has two sets of
          internal tension, low and high. Of course the derailleur has to be
          fully disassemble in order to be set to the high tension position, but
          it might be worthy googling it to find out if the OP derailleur has
          this option. When I was installing my freeradical kit I decided to do
          it since I expected that the chain would move vertically much more
          than before, and I believe I was right. But after the adjustment I
          have no problems with the chain slipping or jumping out.
          Regards,
          Fred
        • Bruce Alan Wilson
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2008
            Re: my chain skips

            When I was in HS, I had a hub gear bike and I changed tires on it all the time.  It isn't all that hard.  And, IIRC, Surly recommends a Rolhoff for the Big Dummy.

            Bruce Alan Wilson

          • threeohm@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2, 2008
              Changing a tire or fixing a flat on my Big Dummy with Rohloff takes literally one additional 5 second step of removing the external gear mechanism via a single thumb screw. Other than that there is no difference at all.

              Safe riding,

              Vik

              From: "Bruce Alan Wilson" <bawilson@...>
              Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 00:12:43 -0400