Re: my chain skips

  • Bruce Alan Wilson
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 1, 2008
      Re: my chain skips

      Might I suggest that going from a derailleur to a hub drive might help?

      Shimano & Sturmey-Archer both make 8-gear hub drives now, and that should be enough for all but the most mountainous regions.  (And I'm from WV.)

      Bruce Alan Wilson

    • Robert J. Matter
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 2, 2008
        Bruce Alan Wilson wrote:

        > Might I suggest that going from a derailleur to a hub drive might help?
        >
        > Shimano & Sturmey-Archer both make 8-gear hub drives now, and that should be
        > enough for all but the most mountainous regions. (And I'm from WV.)
        >
        > Bruce Alan Wilson
        >
        > "The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of
        > transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in
        > heart."--Iris Murdoch

        I understand that it is not recommended to pull heavy loads with an
        internal gear hub.

        Also it's a pain in the ass to change a flat on a wheel with an internal
        gear hub, unless you have a cable quick release.

        One of my bikes has a Shimano Nexus 7-speed internal gear hub without
        the cable quick release and it is all but impossible to fix a flat with
        it by yourself. I've taken it to bike shops the three times I had flats
        and watched mechanics struggle for 1/2 hour trying to get the damn cable
        reattached. Then the shifting has to be re-adjusted.

        -Bob Matter
      • Khalid Mateen
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 2, 2008

          Hi, took my bicycle to the LBS.  I am a currently getting the whole drive train replaced.  It cost me a bit but this is the first time I have paid to get things replaced and service.  Had the bicycle for over 10 years and it is over due.

          Thanks

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2008
            I have a Dutch-made bakfiets with a shimano 8-speed internal rear hub.
            I have never heard about the internals not being good for weight.
            The carrying capacity of the Bakfiets is rated at 300 lbs in the front
            box and 70 lbs on the rear rack. In my view internal gearing is great
            for heavy loads because when you have to stop quickly and cannot
            downshift, you can just shift after you are stopped.

            Mark
            Oakland, CA
          • fredpinto.geo
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2, 2008
              I couldn't find the OP message, but besides the chain tensioner, there
              are some rear derailleurs that allow some tensioning on their own as
              well. My X'ed Gary Fisher has a Shimano STX RC that has two sets of
              internal tension, low and high. Of course the derailleur has to be
              fully disassemble in order to be set to the high tension position, but
              it might be worthy googling it to find out if the OP derailleur has
              this option. When I was installing my freeradical kit I decided to do
              it since I expected that the chain would move vertically much more
              than before, and I believe I was right. But after the adjustment I
              have no problems with the chain slipping or jumping out.
              Regards,
              Fred
            • Bruce Alan Wilson
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 2, 2008
                Re: my chain skips

                When I was in HS, I had a hub gear bike and I changed tires on it all the time.  It isn't all that hard.  And, IIRC, Surly recommends a Rolhoff for the Big Dummy.

                Bruce Alan Wilson

              • threeohm@gmail.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 2, 2008
                  Changing a tire or fixing a flat on my Big Dummy with Rohloff takes literally one additional 5 second step of removing the external gear mechanism via a single thumb screw. Other than that there is no difference at all.

                  Safe riding,

                  Vik

                  From: "Bruce Alan Wilson" <bawilson@...>
                  Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 00:12:43 -0400