Re: [rootsradicals] Xtracycles for the Poor (was $107 to fill up a tank...)

  • Tone@moon-shine.net
    Message 1 of 45 , Aug 1, 2008
      Brad,
      I was a messenger in NYC for the better part of ten years, with about
      a third of that time toward the end using the Xtracycle. The trick to
      using a messenger bag is to actually tighten the bag strap snug around
      your torso. The only time the strap is suppose to be wide open is to
      compensate for a bulkier load inside the bag. Basically the strap is
      meant to expand and contract the opening of the bag, then when you
      need to take something out or put something in you loosen the strap,
      swing/slide the bag down and around to the front, access the inside to
      modify the bags contents, then swing the bag back and tighten the
      strap back to a snug fit.

      In the media messengers are usually depicted with loose-strap
      messenger bags, which tends to be considered a ridiculous rookie usage
      of a mess bag to most professional bike couriers.
      Sometimes packages/cargo will be an unusual shape, which can result in
      the bag strap slipping the bag down and around to the front. In these
      cases, some of the better high-quality professional messenger bag
      companies provide a clip in secondary strap. The secondary strap
      usually runs from the bottom of the bag around the waist or rib and
      connects to the primary strap. This results in an almost Tri-strap
      configuration.
      There is also another company in Canada, which makes the MOST
      professional, fully-featured, life-time guaranteed, and most expensive
      mess bags in the industry. That company is call PAC bags, with the C
      kind of shaped like a T because the original designer was a woman
      named Patricia, who was in the messenger industry for many years.
      Anyway, PAC bags actually feature a FOURTH optional strap, which goes
      over the courier's other shoulder. The fourth strap is intended for
      use when a messenger is carrying a super heavy/bulky load and having
      some extra support might help.
      Personally, I really like Chrome bags due to all their features in
      relation to their price and their support of the courier community. I
      also used Manhattan Portage for many years and like them as well, but
      I have to admit that is because I am from NYC, and Manhattan Portage
      pretty much built up the messenger bag industry after "Globe Bags"
      first started making canvas messenger bags many years ago. Now
      Manhattan Portage owns the rights to make Globe Bags, but only does so
      upon request.
      Another really good messenger bag company is R.E.Load, which was
      started in Philly by two actual messengers. Their bags look good
      because of a lot of the customizable options you can order and the
      bags are really bomb-proof.
      Message 45 of 45 , Aug 3, 2008

        Jake,

                    I am no fool. I let the Xtracycle do the lugging of my messenger bag, while I was a messenger and to this day when I am not. J

                    I usually kept my messenger bag in two doubled-up contractor-grade black garbage bags. This way if I just had a small package I could slip into a building and leave the baggage behind. A person does not get harassed by security as much if they do not look like a courier.    The garbage bags served two purposes. They disguised the messenger-bag contents as possibly looking like trash, and they kept my messenger bag completely dry. Of course my messenger bag is designed and produced to be inherently waterproof, but when I did have to go into a client’s office during a rain storm, my bag and the customer’s packages would appear and actually be completely dry. Some clients get uneasy about handing over their precious packages to a messenger, who’s messenger bag is leaving a puddle of dirty water on their nice dry clean office floor. That never happened with me. J