Re: [rootsradicals] Re: new: $275 to fill up a tank

  • Anne Littlebird
    Message 1 of 34 , Aug 1, 2008
      I heard Al Gores's speech and I liked what I heard but it's no different
      form what we were saying in the 70s. Now it's critical and it's going to
      take time. We didn't jump on the bad wagon then I'm not sure how long it
      will take now. I know coal is not the answer - that was the point I was
      making. There are quite a few people I know who think electricity is
      better - not in it's present form it's not. And it's nearly maxed out
      right now. I loved being in Denmark and seeing all the wind mills
      generating power. It's just now beginning to catch on here but "it will
      take time". Not that we have much...

      And yes the Prius is fine as a 4 passenger car. But there's only myself
      so why would I get a 4 passenger car? I know people who are also single
      that have huge SUVs. We bought into the car economy not thinking we
      don't really need that much space. Not many people around here ride
      share - yet. When I still had the car I offered to pick up people I
      worked with - they wanted to have their own ride. Now they are freaking
      out.

      I love my X and my motorcycle. Not perfect yet but at least the
      motorcycle gets me to the places I couldn't get to solely on the X. I
      average 2-3 gallons a month - tops. I got through this month on 2
      gallons because I had 2 meetings out of town right after work. This
      month the meetings are in town so the X can get me there. Yay!

      Chevron had another record profit...isn't that nice. :(

      Anne Littlebird
      Issumatuq Herbals
      P.O. Box 5161
      Louisville, KY 40255
      502-418-1023

      MH wrote:
      > Hi Anne,
      > I like what Al Gore's Repower America speech had to say.
      > Coal, oil and natural gas where alluded to and if Nanosolar
      > can really make one dollar a watt PV panels along with cost
      > competitive wind power and geothermal generation - coal is
      > not the answer for our future energy needs. It will take
      > time to change. The benefits seem pretty apparent. And
      > gasoline scooter fuel economy isn't much better then the
      > PHEV Toyota Prius which carrys four people. I mean if one
      > compares miles per passenger the Prius wins. -Mark H.
      >

      > Anne Littlebird wrote:
      >
      >> They still need to rapidly come up with an alternative for electricity
      >> generating. Some of us Kentuckians are tired of having our mountain tops
      >> removed for coal to run power stations. Electric cars, e-assists etc
      >> will still be using an energy source that is not clean or green.
      >>
      >> This is all about power and money. We are at peak oil no matter what
      >> anyone thinks.

    • MH
      Message 34 of 34 , Aug 7, 2008
        Thank you Morgan. I sure appreciate your help!
        While doing some reading about the batteries I
        thought this interesting - EEstor batteries.
        Maybe there the battery future? They sound like
        they would be affordable if they make to market.
        I guess we can only hope. -Mark H.

        Battery Breakthrough?
        A Texas company says it can make a new ultracapacitor power system to
        replace the electrochemical batteries in everything from cars to laptops.
        By Tyler Hamilton
        January 22, 2007
        http://www.technologyreview.com/printer_friendly_article.aspx?id=18086&channel=specialsections§ion=batteries

        Better Batteries Charge Up
        A startup reports progress on a battery that stores more energy than
        lithium-ion ones.
        By Tyler Hamilton
        August 05, 2008
        http://www.technologyreview.com/Energy/21171/