Re: [rootsradicals] Xtracycles for the Poor (was $107 to fill up a tank...)

  • Brad Martinson
    Message 1 of 45 , Aug 1 9:15 AM
      Bite your tongue! The X made the difference (for me) between barely
      tolerating the commute on a bike and looking forward to the ride. I
      despise riding with a backpack - and the messenger bag was even worse,
      as it kept slipping around to the front. Being able to put the laptop,
      files, some small tools, a change of clothes and a lunch in the
      freeloaders is what made the commute enjoyable.

      Too bad the job sucked :-) But that's all in the rear view mirror at
      this point.

      - brad

      Message 45 of 45 , Aug 3 10:23 PM

        Jake,

                    I am no fool. I let the Xtracycle do the lugging of my messenger bag, while I was a messenger and to this day when I am not. J

                    I usually kept my messenger bag in two doubled-up contractor-grade black garbage bags. This way if I just had a small package I could slip into a building and leave the baggage behind. A person does not get harassed by security as much if they do not look like a courier.    The garbage bags served two purposes. They disguised the messenger-bag contents as possibly looking like trash, and they kept my messenger bag completely dry. Of course my messenger bag is designed and produced to be inherently waterproof, but when I did have to go into a client’s office during a rain storm, my bag and the customer’s packages would appear and actually be completely dry. Some clients get uneasy about handing over their precious packages to a messenger, who’s messenger bag is leaving a puddle of dirty water on their nice dry clean office floor. That never happened with me. J