Re: [rootsradicals] Re: $107 to fill up a tank! Or how we can eat less and move more ...

  • MH
    Message 1 of 45 , Aug 1 8:01 AM
      beth wrote:
      > 1. I do NOT park my X outside overnight. EVER. In this neighborhood it would be gone.
      > 2. I have tried three times to load my X onto the rack on a TriMet bus (in Portland, OR) and
      > I removed my front wheel and did everything right
      > and was flatly told that the X "exceeds the length limit for an allowable bike on the rack".

      Thank you Beth. I'll have to check in with the city bus company
      and see what they say. This is not the news I was hoping for.
      I've no problem committing to the round trip ride. I'll just
      continue carrying a inner tube and spare tire for replacement
      when the need arises. -Mark H.
      Message 45 of 45 , Aug 3 10:23 PM

        Jake,

                    I am no fool. I let the Xtracycle do the lugging of my messenger bag, while I was a messenger and to this day when I am not. J

                    I usually kept my messenger bag in two doubled-up contractor-grade black garbage bags. This way if I just had a small package I could slip into a building and leave the baggage behind. A person does not get harassed by security as much if they do not look like a courier.    The garbage bags served two purposes. They disguised the messenger-bag contents as possibly looking like trash, and they kept my messenger bag completely dry. Of course my messenger bag is designed and produced to be inherently waterproof, but when I did have to go into a client’s office during a rain storm, my bag and the customer’s packages would appear and actually be completely dry. Some clients get uneasy about handing over their precious packages to a messenger, who’s messenger bag is leaving a puddle of dirty water on their nice dry clean office floor. That never happened with me. J