Re: [rootsradicals] Re: $107 to fill up a tank! Or how we can eat less and move more ...

  • MH
    Message 1 of 45 , Aug 1, 2008
      Around my parts of the USA not everyone has a car.
      We have a transport system that takes folks to the
      doctor, shopping and to the neighbors across town.
      There's also a buddy system to go to the small
      cities for other needs. The Amish community has
      a similar arrangement.

      I'm wondering why not post to the community website
      the availability of the XtraCycle's for folks that
      want to barrow or rent them for the day. Pedal
      over and hop on. -Mark H.
      Message 45 of 45 , Aug 3, 2008

        Jake,

                    I am no fool. I let the Xtracycle do the lugging of my messenger bag, while I was a messenger and to this day when I am not. J

                    I usually kept my messenger bag in two doubled-up contractor-grade black garbage bags. This way if I just had a small package I could slip into a building and leave the baggage behind. A person does not get harassed by security as much if they do not look like a courier.    The garbage bags served two purposes. They disguised the messenger-bag contents as possibly looking like trash, and they kept my messenger bag completely dry. Of course my messenger bag is designed and produced to be inherently waterproof, but when I did have to go into a client’s office during a rain storm, my bag and the customer’s packages would appear and actually be completely dry. Some clients get uneasy about handing over their precious packages to a messenger, who’s messenger bag is leaving a puddle of dirty water on their nice dry clean office floor. That never happened with me. J