Re: [rootsradicals] Re: $107 to fill up a tank! Or how we can eat less and move more ...

  • Mark Garvey
    Message 1 of 45 , Aug 1, 2008

      On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 10:13 PM, Morgan <mcgurme@...> wrote:
      I thought I'd throw in a few more thoughts--

      Regarding affordability of the Xtracycle,

      OK, Here is an apples to apples comparison.  Yes, the cost is a bit much.  BUT  for basic transportation it is CHEAP!  MOST people in the USA, even really really POOR people own cars.   I go through even the worst part of our town and every house has a car parked out front!  EVERY SINGLE ONE!   Granted many of them will forgo the niceties such as insurance.  But they all can somehow afford to buy a car and put gas in it.

      A bicycle, ANY bicycle is cheaper than that.  It is very difficult to find a running car for under $1000.  And driving it any distance will involve perhaps $20 a week or so.  My wife drives our Minivan most days (I operate it about once or twice a week) and I am constantly putting $20 worth of gas in it, while my car has sat in front of our home for weeks at a time without moving!  (Side note here, a couple of weekends ago I had a gig in a distant town and had to take the car.  when I drove off, there was a pile of trash, sand and a basketball under the car!)

      If a person wants to get around buying a bicycle is cheaper than a car under ANY circumstances.  you can go to Check and Go and get enough money to buy an X (not meaning to get into the whole very short term, very high interest rate loan world)

      An enterprising person could sell decent quality bikes on a "rent to own" basis and possibly not go broke.

      mark

      Message 45 of 45 , Aug 3, 2008

        Jake,

                    I am no fool. I let the Xtracycle do the lugging of my messenger bag, while I was a messenger and to this day when I am not. J

                    I usually kept my messenger bag in two doubled-up contractor-grade black garbage bags. This way if I just had a small package I could slip into a building and leave the baggage behind. A person does not get harassed by security as much if they do not look like a courier.    The garbage bags served two purposes. They disguised the messenger-bag contents as possibly looking like trash, and they kept my messenger bag completely dry. Of course my messenger bag is designed and produced to be inherently waterproof, but when I did have to go into a client’s office during a rain storm, my bag and the customer’s packages would appear and actually be completely dry. Some clients get uneasy about handing over their precious packages to a messenger, who’s messenger bag is leaving a puddle of dirty water on their nice dry clean office floor. That never happened with me. J