Re: $107 to fill up a tank! Or how we can eat less and move more ...

  • beth
    Message 1 of 45 , Jul 31, 2008
      > While you folks are brainstorming I have a couple questions:
      > 1) Do others here park their Xtra or BDummy inside there apartment?
      > 2) Can XtraCycle's ride the bus racks if the tire sidewall ripes?
      > These are typical problems I have and hope you folks can help.
      > Thank you. -Mark H.

      1. I do NOT park my X outside overnight. EVER. In this neighborhood it would be gone.
      2. I have tried three times to load my X onto the rack on a TriMet bus (in Portland, OR) and
      three times I was denied by the drivers. I removed my front wheel and did everything right
      and was flatly told that the X "exceeds the length limit for an allowable bike on the rack".
      I called TriMet's office and was told the same thing: no X's on the buses or the light rail
      trains. So when I ride the X somewhere, I have to commit to riding all the way there and all
      the home again. It's not entirely bad.
      Message 45 of 45 , Aug 3 10:23 PM

        Jake,

                    I am no fool. I let the Xtracycle do the lugging of my messenger bag, while I was a messenger and to this day when I am not. J

                    I usually kept my messenger bag in two doubled-up contractor-grade black garbage bags. This way if I just had a small package I could slip into a building and leave the baggage behind. A person does not get harassed by security as much if they do not look like a courier.    The garbage bags served two purposes. They disguised the messenger-bag contents as possibly looking like trash, and they kept my messenger bag completely dry. Of course my messenger bag is designed and produced to be inherently waterproof, but when I did have to go into a client’s office during a rain storm, my bag and the customer’s packages would appear and actually be completely dry. Some clients get uneasy about handing over their precious packages to a messenger, who’s messenger bag is leaving a puddle of dirty water on their nice dry clean office floor. That never happened with me. J