new: $275 to fill up a tank

  • Bob Brandon
    Message 1 of 34 , Jul 31, 2008
      new: $275 to fill up a tank To update the subject line; here is a story. The other day, my brother and I went over to Iowa to shop and to get diesel fuel for his van. It’s about 20 cents per gallon less than Illinois. After he filled the tank, he filled a 15 gallon HDPE barrel for spare fuel. The bill came to $189. Then he filled another 15 gallon barrel with gasoline to take home for his wife’s car. Another $61. While we were there getting cheap Iowa gas, I filled a 6 gallon can for myself too. Another $24. We put all this on my Shell card because I get a 5 percent rebate (about 20 cents per gallon) Total bill about $275. Laugh? I thought I’d die!
      Bob Brandon (I can’t afford a Xtracycle)
      TT 3.3 w/assist and trailer
      Rans Tailwind
      Dodge van with 36 gallon tank
      Geo Prism
    • MH
      Message 34 of 34 , Aug 7, 2008
        Thank you Morgan. I sure appreciate your help!
        While doing some reading about the batteries I
        thought this interesting - EEstor batteries.
        Maybe there the battery future? They sound like
        they would be affordable if they make to market.
        I guess we can only hope. -Mark H.

        Battery Breakthrough?
        A Texas company says it can make a new ultracapacitor power system to
        replace the electrochemical batteries in everything from cars to laptops.
        By Tyler Hamilton
        January 22, 2007
        http://www.technologyreview.com/printer_friendly_article.aspx?id=18086&channel=specialsections§ion=batteries

        Better Batteries Charge Up
        A startup reports progress on a battery that stores more energy than
        lithium-ion ones.
        By Tyler Hamilton
        August 05, 2008
        http://www.technologyreview.com/Energy/21171/