Total Rebuild

  • alexbknight
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 20, 2006
      A big thanks to all on the Roots Radical site for the responses to
      my questions. Following this I have ditched the Orange P7 build
      that I had due to bad handling and a lot of wobble, I then did the
      following:
      - Found a "racing" mountain bike in a large sports chain store
      - Alu Frame, Disk brakes, front suspension and 27 gears
      - Handlebars got changed for some nice upright laid back "european"
      bars. I live in Switzerland so wasn't difficult
      - Tyres got swapped out for some Big Apples 2.35"
      - Some learning done to put in a longer brake hose and fix a 203mm
      disk.

      Photos posted in album Swiss X Rebuild.

      So far, it rides a whole lot better than the old one, nice and rigid
      and a lovely town riding position. I've had my pregnant wife (7
      months) and 2 year old on the deck for a short ride, and virtually
      no flex...

      Issues and comments:
      - Trail is reduced easily as the fork compresses
      - it rides no hands virtually straight off (I do it cautiously)
      - Bottom Bracket is very high
      - 2.35" Big Apples ride lovely but don't give much clearance,
      either to the chain in low gear or to the free radical frame
      - no idea where I'll put the mud guards.
      - haven't fitted a layback seat post as this will reduce the space
      at the back between me and the rear child seat.
      - wanted to fit a front child seat but no space - advice was to not
      cut the steered tube, but this is difficult if buying a bike
      complete. I am working on another solution though which I will post
      if it works.

      Thanks again, I look forward to continue to follow this forum -
      excellent stuff going on in here - I'm learning a lot.
      Alex
    • Murray Neill
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 20, 2006
        Alex,

        Love those Big Apples! They look great and I bet they're a comfortable
        ride. I have been looking at those tires myself and was wondering if
        the free radical would have enough clearance. I can see now the answer
        is "yes... but only just!"
        Nice bike all round.

        Murray

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "alexbknight" <Alexbknight@...>