Re: going e-assist

  • Morgan
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 30, 2008
      Hey Morgan S,

      Conversions like the Wilderness Energy (and Crystalyte) that are heavier
      and/or commonly use lead acid batteries are going to affect bike feel, usually for the
      negative.

      That said, I started using my first electric bike back in the good old days
      (the year that the TV show Friends premiered!), and it was powered by
      lead acid batteries, conveying motion through a friction wheel on my tire.
      I used lead acids all the way until about 2 years ago (totaling
      more than ten years!). So, even though I say it detracts from bike handling,
      it didn't detract enough to keep me from using one on my daily commute bike.

      But, I will say, when you can afford it, upgrading to a lighter motor
      (e.g. eZee, BionX, or similar), and/or upgrading to lighter batteries
      (Lithium-Manganese, Lithium Iron Phosphate, Nickel Metal Hydride)
      will drastically improve bike feel. For my day to day ride, I use a
      Lithium Iron Phosphate pack that is 36V/10AH. Recently, I was bringing
      home the equivalent lead acid pack from the shop on my X (equivalent in terms
      of power, i.e. 36V 12AH), and I couldn't believe how heavy it made the bike feel.
      It is more than 3x the weight, at around 35 pounds (compared to 10 lbs for
      the LiFEPO4).

      Also, in the long run, these alternative battery chemistries are less
      expensive than lead acid. Lead acids must be replaced regularly,
      other chemistries not nearly as often. It is just that the upfront costs
      are steep.

      Anyway, enjoy your ebike! Ebikes are one of the most efficient forms of
      transportation known to humankind.

      Morgan G