RE: [rootsradicals] Fixed bike Xtracycle??

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 15, 2006
      Juergen,
      Ah, there lies the inherent problem then. Alas I have only
      vertical dropouts and I do not intend on changing frames any time soon.

      This brings me to another question I have then. Once again the
      caption of Aaron's blue Colnago says "Fixed Xtracycle Quick-Release
      Convertible." As I understand it then, and according to a hint of the
      quick release lever in the photo, instead of the normal bolts supplied
      by Xtracycle there are a pair of quick-release bolts (like perhaps seat
      post levers?) connecting the two primary bolt attachment points of the
      Xtracycle to the horizontal dropouts of Aaron's bike?
      As I always understood it, quick-release bolts are unable to
      supply enough tension/grip for a fixed bike's horizontal drop outs. This
      makes me wonder if the two quick release bolts on Aaron's bike are
      enough to provide a safe non-slipping attachment point for such a fixed
      set up. Am I missing something or unclear on how it is set up?
      _TONE_
    • Pete.B
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 16, 2006
        Tone,

        To go fixed on the X posess the same challenge as "fixing" any modern vertical dropout equipped bike.

        It will involve some extra work to acheive a workable result.

        There are three main options that don't involve having to fit new horizontal dropouts.

        Careful choice of front and rear gearing with the possible use of a KMC half link <http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?id=1274 > could get you there.

        A more expensive option is to build a new rear wheel around a White Industries Eno eccentric hub, http://www.whiteind.com/ENO_Products/eric.html

        Or maybe this very creative solution where a floating chainring is used to take up the slack. http://www.mtbr.com/faq/MTBR_com%20Single%20Speed%20FAQ%20v1_0_files/ghostChainring.jpg

        Rgds