Re: [rootsradicals] Fixed bike Xtracycle??

  • Juergen Weichert
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 15, 2006
      Tone wrote:

      > I just read Dane’s post about the BottomSiders padded seat for the
      > Xtracycle, then I looked at the rideyourbike.com/Xtracycle link. I
      > checked it all out, but something REALLY got my attention.
      >
      > I noticed there is a photo of an “Xtracycled” blue Colnago, which has
      > the caption “Aaron's Fixed Xtracycle Quick-Release Convertible.” Am I
      > understanding this correctly?! Is Aaron’s bike a FIXED Xtracycle… as
      > in how track bikes are set up??? If so how is the issue of horizontal
      > dropouts (needed for fixed bikes) resolved?
      >
      > I am wondering because working as a bike messenger in NYC I have MANY
      > messenger friends, who ride fixed/track bikes. As it is, I recently
      > switched out my Xtracycled bike to a single-speed freewheel, but I
      > thought it would be amusing to modify it further so it is somehow a
      > fixed bike… just to mess with my friends even more, who think me
      > riding a single-speed cargo bike is pretty hardcore.
      >
      > Keep in mind I do not think riding on a fixed cargo bike on a daily
      > basis for hours on end while carrying tons of stuff for messenger work
      > in Manhattan traffic would be all that great, but showing up to a
      > fixed-bike-only messenger race on a cargo bike just once would floor
      > everyone.
      >
      > _/TONE/_

      You can tension your chain by moving the entire Xtracycle frame fore and
      back in the bike dropouts - assuming the base bike has horizontal drops.
      Otherwise everything is the same.

      Juergen
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 15, 2006
        Juergen,
        Ah, there lies the inherent problem then. Alas I have only
        vertical dropouts and I do not intend on changing frames any time soon.

        This brings me to another question I have then. Once again the
        caption of Aaron's blue Colnago says "Fixed Xtracycle Quick-Release
        Convertible." As I understand it then, and according to a hint of the
        quick release lever in the photo, instead of the normal bolts supplied
        by Xtracycle there are a pair of quick-release bolts (like perhaps seat
        post levers?) connecting the two primary bolt attachment points of the
        Xtracycle to the horizontal dropouts of Aaron's bike?
        As I always understood it, quick-release bolts are unable to
        supply enough tension/grip for a fixed bike's horizontal drop outs. This
        makes me wonder if the two quick release bolts on Aaron's bike are
        enough to provide a safe non-slipping attachment point for such a fixed
        set up. Am I missing something or unclear on how it is set up?
        _TONE_
      • Pete.B
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 16, 2006
          Tone,

          To go fixed on the X posess the same challenge as "fixing" any modern vertical dropout equipped bike.

          It will involve some extra work to acheive a workable result.

          There are three main options that don't involve having to fit new horizontal dropouts.

          Careful choice of front and rear gearing with the possible use of a KMC half link <http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?id=1274 > could get you there.

          A more expensive option is to build a new rear wheel around a White Industries Eno eccentric hub, http://www.whiteind.com/ENO_Products/eric.html

          Or maybe this very creative solution where a floating chainring is used to take up the slack. http://www.mtbr.com/faq/MTBR_com%20Single%20Speed%20FAQ%20v1_0_files/ghostChainring.jpg

          Rgds