Re: 700C wheel limitations

  • Jake Wilson
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 25, 2008

      > On 2008-07-25, at 11:16 PM, Khalid Mateen wrote:
      >
      > > I know everyone gets the 26 inch rear tires but I want to keep the
      > > 700c and use fatter tires.
      >
      > What's it worth to you? There are people who've made custom
      longtail
      > frames, so you could in principle do this, but I think it will be
      > expensive.
      >
      > David

      ~~~has anyone tried to fit a 50 or 60 mm big apple 700c tire in the X
      frame yet David?

      I'm running 622 X 38 mm conti contacts and there's plenty of room width
      wise. Circumference is another story=:-( I don't get any rubbing
      front or rear but there isn't much room leftover for a fender

      yeah i think 26' wheels is the way to go for more room but that option
      requires an investment of a new wheel for me, and then a tire, and a
      disc caliper, and a rotor, on and on=:-)

      FWIW the roads I ride are smooth for the most part so I'm not looking
      for a wider tire for comfort, and the 80 lbs i've hauled thus far, the
      conti's handled with ease

      at this point i think i'm just going to look into homebrewing a fender
      option on the back and call it done, but i reserve the right to change
      my mind at a moment's notice=:-)

      Jake
      Reddick Fla.