Re: [rootsradicals] Stylish snapdeck treatment

  • murray
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 15 1:14 PM
      It was done by a local furniture manufacturer. My friend just walked into their factory shop with his snapdeck in hand. They went through the various materials and padding with him. They charged NZ$50 (around US$30). It is a permanant mod to the snap deck. I imagine if you still wanted a wooden cargo deck sometimes you could have two decks. It is very comfortable and I think it makes the bike look like a limosine.
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 15 4:16 PM

                    I just read Dane’s post about the BottomSiders padded seat for the Xtracycle, then I looked at the rideyourbike.com/Xtracycle link. I checked it all out, but something REALLY got my attention.

                    I noticed there is a photo of an “Xtracycled” blue Colnago, which has the caption “Aaron's Fixed Xtracycle Quick-Release Convertible.” Am I understanding this correctly?! Is Aaron’s bike a FIXED Xtracycle… as in how track bikes are set up??? If so how is the issue of horizontal dropouts (needed for fixed bikes) resolved?

                    I am wondering because working as a bike messenger in NYC I have MANY messenger friends, who ride fixed/track bikes. As it is, I recently switched out my Xtracycled bike to a single-speed freewheel, but I thought it would be amusing to modify it further so it is somehow a fixed bike… just to mess with my friends even more, who think me riding a single-speed cargo bike is pretty hardcore.

                    Keep in mind I do not think riding on a fixed cargo bike on a daily basis for hours on end while carrying tons of stuff for messenger work in Manhattan traffic would be all that great, but showing up to a fixed-bike-only messenger race on a cargo bike just once would floor everyone.

        _TONE_

      • Juergen Weichert
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 15 5:42 PM
          Tone wrote:

          > I just read Dane’s post about the BottomSiders padded seat for the
          > Xtracycle, then I looked at the rideyourbike.com/Xtracycle link. I
          > checked it all out, but something REALLY got my attention.
          >
          > I noticed there is a photo of an “Xtracycled” blue Colnago, which has
          > the caption “Aaron's Fixed Xtracycle Quick-Release Convertible.” Am I
          > understanding this correctly?! Is Aaron’s bike a FIXED Xtracycle… as
          > in how track bikes are set up??? If so how is the issue of horizontal
          > dropouts (needed for fixed bikes) resolved?
          >
          > I am wondering because working as a bike messenger in NYC I have MANY
          > messenger friends, who ride fixed/track bikes. As it is, I recently
          > switched out my Xtracycled bike to a single-speed freewheel, but I
          > thought it would be amusing to modify it further so it is somehow a
          > fixed bike… just to mess with my friends even more, who think me
          > riding a single-speed cargo bike is pretty hardcore.
          >
          > Keep in mind I do not think riding on a fixed cargo bike on a daily
          > basis for hours on end while carrying tons of stuff for messenger work
          > in Manhattan traffic would be all that great, but showing up to a
          > fixed-bike-only messenger race on a cargo bike just once would floor
          > everyone.
          >
          > _/TONE/_

          You can tension your chain by moving the entire Xtracycle frame fore and
          back in the bike dropouts - assuming the base bike has horizontal drops.
          Otherwise everything is the same.

          Juergen
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 15 8:59 PM
            Juergen,
            Ah, there lies the inherent problem then. Alas I have only
            vertical dropouts and I do not intend on changing frames any time soon.

            This brings me to another question I have then. Once again the
            caption of Aaron's blue Colnago says "Fixed Xtracycle Quick-Release
            Convertible." As I understand it then, and according to a hint of the
            quick release lever in the photo, instead of the normal bolts supplied
            by Xtracycle there are a pair of quick-release bolts (like perhaps seat
            post levers?) connecting the two primary bolt attachment points of the
            Xtracycle to the horizontal dropouts of Aaron's bike?
            As I always understood it, quick-release bolts are unable to
            supply enough tension/grip for a fixed bike's horizontal drop outs. This
            makes me wonder if the two quick release bolts on Aaron's bike are
            enough to provide a safe non-slipping attachment point for such a fixed
            set up. Am I missing something or unclear on how it is set up?
            _TONE_
          • Pete.B
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 16 3:43 AM
              Tone,

              To go fixed on the X posess the same challenge as "fixing" any modern vertical dropout equipped bike.

              It will involve some extra work to acheive a workable result.

              There are three main options that don't involve having to fit new horizontal dropouts.

              Careful choice of front and rear gearing with the possible use of a KMC half link <http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?id=1274 > could get you there.

              A more expensive option is to build a new rear wheel around a White Industries Eno eccentric hub, http://www.whiteind.com/ENO_Products/eric.html

              Or maybe this very creative solution where a floating chainring is used to take up the slack. http://www.mtbr.com/faq/MTBR_com%20Single%20Speed%20FAQ%20v1_0_files/ghostChainring.jpg

              Rgds