Re: [rootsradicals] Lock box for bike??

  • Steve Pepper
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 15, 2006
      A Motorcycle/Moped topbox might be an answer

      Steve
      Harrogate
      uk

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 16, 2006
        I free dive also off ventura county in california
        though I dont have an xtracycle

        Dont know if you use any kind of float but my thinking
        is keep the wallet etc. with you in an otter box or
        pelican box. This should cover the situation in which
        the bike gets stolen.

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Jon" <freedive_wi@...> wrote:

        > I need to come up with some way to lock up my wallet, cell phone, and
        > dry clothes when I freedive off my bike.
        >
        > I had thought about buying a larger kayaking drybag and just drag
        > everything along with me when I dive, but then I thought about
        > mounting some kind of locked, possible waterproof, box onto the top of
        > the snap deck. I thought that I could also carry all my normal stuff
        > in there everyday- pump, tools, spare tires, ect.
        >
        > Has anyone else on here mounted any kind of a permanent "trunk" onto
        > their Xtracycle yet?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Jon

      • Jon
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 16, 2006
          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "pystanis" <pystanis@...>
          wrote:

          > I free dive also off ventura county in california
          > though I dont have an xtracycle
          >
          > Dont know if you use any kind of float but my thinking
          > is keep the wallet etc. with you in an otter box or
          > pelican box. This should cover the situation in which
          > the bike gets stolen.
          >
          > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Jon" <freedive_wi@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I need to come up with some way to lock up my wallet, cell
          phone, and
          > > dry clothes when I freedive off my bike.
          > >
          > > I had thought about buying a larger kayaking drybag and just
          drag
          > > everything along with me when I dive, but then I thought about
          > > mounting some kind of locked, possible waterproof, box onto the
          top of
          > > the snap deck. I thought that I could also carry all my normal
          stuff
          > > in there everyday- pump, tools, spare tires, ect.
          > >
          > > Has anyone else on here mounted any kind of a permanent "trunk"
          onto
          > > their Xtracycle yet?
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > >
          > > Jon

          I've got a few different floats for different reasons. For this I
          would use either my Sporasub torpedo or my OMER America float.

          I have a small drybag that I already use in my divekayak so that
          would be enough for just a wallet and keys. I am looking for
          something larger to hold my cloths- bike can be locked to a tree. :)

          I plan on trying to get to a motorcycle shop some time this week and
          look at a helmet box. If that doesn't work I guess i would switch to
          a larger drybag to drag everything with.

          thanks,

          Jon
        • Jon
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 22, 2006
            I went to a local motorcycle shop and looked at a helmet box, as well
            as some scooter trunks, and found them to be too big- and too pricey!

            I think what I have decided to do is to use a Pelican, waterproof, box
            and attach it the the snap deck. I think I can do this by putting a
            couple of small slits into the bottom of the box and running hose
            clamps through them, around the rack, and attach them back on the
            inside of the box so there's no acces to the adjustment screw.

            Since Pelican makes so many different sized boxes I can choose
            something a little more suited for the bike.

            Thanks again for the ideas.

            Jon
          • Ryano

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 22, 2006
                Hi Jon,

                I'm the only xtracycle I've ever seen in the manufacturer's home town,
                Taichung, Taiwan. Ordinary bikes, however, are very common. Most high
                school students ride bikes. I've noticed some clever arrangements for
                carrying storage boxes on the back of ordinary bikes. They use ordinary
                plastic boxes like the storage boxes you can pick up at a discount store
                (sweater boxes, etc.). The boxes are almost typhoon-proof, but all
                that's really needed is a good lid. The important things are ease of
                access, keeping box contents dry during a thunderstorm, and keeping the
                bike from spraying that black streak up your back. So, any plastic box
                with lid will do. So, maybe you don't need a designated 'motorbike box'
                or to 'un-waterproof' a waterproof box. Maybe a cheap storage container
                will work just as well.

                Maybe, if you find a motorbike shop in a China town, you can find the
                cheap plastic motorbike boxes. They're common in Taiwan. Some of these
                boxes even come with built-in locks. They're very light weight and the
                perfect dimensions to hang from a v-rack. Well, they're deep enough and
                have enough width, but are not as long as a v-rack or a freeloader.
                Most have some sort of metal reinforcement and hardware for attaching
                them to a motorbike. I used one as a pannier off my pre-freeradical bike.

                To see what I'm trying to describe in boxes, try these links
                Storage box: http://web.thu.edu.tw/caralinb/www/StorageBox2.JPG
                Motorbike box: http://web.thu.edu.tw/caralinb/www/MotorbikeBox.JPG

                CL

                Jon wrote:
                > I went to a local motorcycle shop and looked at a helmet box, as well
                > as some scooter trunks, and found them to be too big- and too pricey!
                >
                > I think what I have decided to do is to use a Pelican, waterproof, box
                > and attach it the the snap deck. I think I can do this by putting a
                > couple of small slits into the bottom of the box and running hose
                > clamps through them, around the rack, and attach them back on the
                > inside of the box so there's no acces to the adjustment screw.
                >
                > Since Pelican makes so many different sized boxes I can choose
                > something a little more suited for the bike.
                >
                > Thanks again for the ideas.
                >
                > Jon

              • Ryano
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 22, 2006
                  There are lots of these cheap Chinese motorcycle boxes sold in Japan too, and they are quite popular as bicycle boxes also.  They are nicely built, have a built in lock, reflectors and are nice and lightweight.  Much better than the expensive brand-name motorcycle models which are much heavier.

                  I often see these on bicycles lately for example:

                  http://page15.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/t14138839

                  Sold for about 30dollars they are 20 liters (about the size of a motorcycle helmet...).

                  Jon wrote:
                  > I went to a local motorcycle shop and looked at a helmet box, as well
                  > as some scooter trunks, and found them to be too big- and too pricey!
                  >
                  > I think what I have decided to do is to use a Pelican, waterproof, box
                  > and attach it the the snap deck. I think I can do this by putting a
                  > couple of small slits into the bottom of the box and running hose
                  > clamps through them, around the rack, and attach them back on the
                  > inside of the box so there's no acces to the adjustment screw.
                  >
                  > Since Pelican makes so many different sized boxes I can choose
                  > something a little more suited for the bike.
                  >
                  > Thanks again for the ideas.
                  >
                  > Jon

                • Juergen Weichert
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 22, 2006
                    Check out tool boxes. The plastic ones are cheap, light, strong, and
                    available in just about any size. Many of them have a place for a
                    padlock. Most will keep the contents dry too.

                    Juergen