Re: [rootsradicals] Stylish snapdeck treatment

  • Dane Buson
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 15, 2006
      On Sep 15, familycycling wrote:

      > That is REALLY nice! Where did you have that done? Do you mind if I
      > ask the cost? My granddaughter would LOVE a cushion like that to sit
      > on. Great idea!

      I have something very similar from bottomsiders.com (a boat cushion
      company). I don't have pictures of mine yet, but the second picture of
      my LBS's Xtracycle page has an example:

      http://www.rideyourbike.com/xtracycle.html
      http://www.rideyourbike.com/images/xtracycle/bottomsiderpad.jpg

      It has a couple straps you glue on and put snaps on the underside of the
      snapdeck. It's really very comfy, my daughter loves it.

      http://www.bottomsiders.com/

      Mine came to about $80 (IIRC) with shipping and tax.

      --
      Dane Buson - Buson@...
      "I don't have to take this abuse from you -- I've got hundreds of
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 15, 2006
        It was done by a local furniture manufacturer. My friend just walked into their factory shop with his snapdeck in hand. They went through the various materials and padding with him. They charged NZ$50 (around US$30). It is a permanant mod to the snap deck. I imagine if you still wanted a wooden cargo deck sometimes you could have two decks. It is very comfortable and I think it makes the bike look like a limosine.
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 15, 2006

                      I just read Dane’s post about the BottomSiders padded seat for the Xtracycle, then I looked at the rideyourbike.com/Xtracycle link. I checked it all out, but something REALLY got my attention.

                      I noticed there is a photo of an “Xtracycled” blue Colnago, which has the caption “Aaron's Fixed Xtracycle Quick-Release Convertible.” Am I understanding this correctly?! Is Aaron’s bike a FIXED Xtracycle… as in how track bikes are set up??? If so how is the issue of horizontal dropouts (needed for fixed bikes) resolved?

                      I am wondering because working as a bike messenger in NYC I have MANY messenger friends, who ride fixed/track bikes. As it is, I recently switched out my Xtracycled bike to a single-speed freewheel, but I thought it would be amusing to modify it further so it is somehow a fixed bike… just to mess with my friends even more, who think me riding a single-speed cargo bike is pretty hardcore.

                      Keep in mind I do not think riding on a fixed cargo bike on a daily basis for hours on end while carrying tons of stuff for messenger work in Manhattan traffic would be all that great, but showing up to a fixed-bike-only messenger race on a cargo bike just once would floor everyone.

          _TONE_

        • Juergen Weichert
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 15, 2006
            Tone wrote:

            > I just read Dane’s post about the BottomSiders padded seat for the
            > Xtracycle, then I looked at the rideyourbike.com/Xtracycle link. I
            > checked it all out, but something REALLY got my attention.
            >
            > I noticed there is a photo of an “Xtracycled” blue Colnago, which has
            > the caption “Aaron's Fixed Xtracycle Quick-Release Convertible.” Am I
            > understanding this correctly?! Is Aaron’s bike a FIXED Xtracycle… as
            > in how track bikes are set up??? If so how is the issue of horizontal
            > dropouts (needed for fixed bikes) resolved?
            >
            > I am wondering because working as a bike messenger in NYC I have MANY
            > messenger friends, who ride fixed/track bikes. As it is, I recently
            > switched out my Xtracycled bike to a single-speed freewheel, but I
            > thought it would be amusing to modify it further so it is somehow a
            > fixed bike… just to mess with my friends even more, who think me
            > riding a single-speed cargo bike is pretty hardcore.
            >
            > Keep in mind I do not think riding on a fixed cargo bike on a daily
            > basis for hours on end while carrying tons of stuff for messenger work
            > in Manhattan traffic would be all that great, but showing up to a
            > fixed-bike-only messenger race on a cargo bike just once would floor
            > everyone.
            >
            > _/TONE/_

            You can tension your chain by moving the entire Xtracycle frame fore and
            back in the bike dropouts - assuming the base bike has horizontal drops.
            Otherwise everything is the same.

            Juergen
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 15, 2006
              Juergen,
              Ah, there lies the inherent problem then. Alas I have only
              vertical dropouts and I do not intend on changing frames any time soon.

              This brings me to another question I have then. Once again the
              caption of Aaron's blue Colnago says "Fixed Xtracycle Quick-Release
              Convertible." As I understand it then, and according to a hint of the
              quick release lever in the photo, instead of the normal bolts supplied
              by Xtracycle there are a pair of quick-release bolts (like perhaps seat
              post levers?) connecting the two primary bolt attachment points of the
              Xtracycle to the horizontal dropouts of Aaron's bike?
              As I always understood it, quick-release bolts are unable to
              supply enough tension/grip for a fixed bike's horizontal drop outs. This
              makes me wonder if the two quick release bolts on Aaron's bike are
              enough to provide a safe non-slipping attachment point for such a fixed
              set up. Am I missing something or unclear on how it is set up?
              _TONE_
            • Pete.B
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 16, 2006
                Tone,

                To go fixed on the X posess the same challenge as "fixing" any modern vertical dropout equipped bike.

                It will involve some extra work to acheive a workable result.

                There are three main options that don't involve having to fit new horizontal dropouts.

                Careful choice of front and rear gearing with the possible use of a KMC half link <http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?id=1274 > could get you there.

                A more expensive option is to build a new rear wheel around a White Industries Eno eccentric hub, http://www.whiteind.com/ENO_Products/eric.html

                Or maybe this very creative solution where a floating chainring is used to take up the slack. http://www.mtbr.com/faq/MTBR_com%20Single%20Speed%20FAQ%20v1_0_files/ghostChainring.jpg

                Rgds