Re: [rootsradicals] Stylish snapdeck treatment

  • familycycling
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 15, 2006
      That is REALLY nice!  Where did you have that done?  Do you mind if I ask the cost?  My granddaughter would LOVE a cushion like that to sit on.  Great idea!

      How's this for a nice way to re-finish your snapdeck?
      http://radio. weblogs.com/ 0128644/2006/ 09/15.html# a868

      Murray.

    • Christopher Palmer
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 15, 2006
        That's exactly what I was thinking about doing to mine. Is it removable,
        or integral?

        thanks
        CTP

        At 06:50 AM 9/15/2006, you wrote:
        >That is REALLY nice! Where did you have that done? Do you mind if I ask
        >the cost? My granddaughter would LOVE a cushion like that to sit
        >on. Great idea!

      • Dane Buson
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 15, 2006
          On Sep 15, familycycling wrote:

          > That is REALLY nice! Where did you have that done? Do you mind if I
          > ask the cost? My granddaughter would LOVE a cushion like that to sit
          > on. Great idea!

          I have something very similar from bottomsiders.com (a boat cushion
          company). I don't have pictures of mine yet, but the second picture of
          my LBS's Xtracycle page has an example:

          http://www.rideyourbike.com/xtracycle.html
          http://www.rideyourbike.com/images/xtracycle/bottomsiderpad.jpg

          It has a couple straps you glue on and put snaps on the underside of the
          snapdeck. It's really very comfy, my daughter loves it.

          http://www.bottomsiders.com/

          Mine came to about $80 (IIRC) with shipping and tax.

          --
          Dane Buson - Buson@...
          "I don't have to take this abuse from you -- I've got hundreds of
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 15, 2006
            It was done by a local furniture manufacturer. My friend just walked into their factory shop with his snapdeck in hand. They went through the various materials and padding with him. They charged NZ$50 (around US$30). It is a permanant mod to the snap deck. I imagine if you still wanted a wooden cargo deck sometimes you could have two decks. It is very comfortable and I think it makes the bike look like a limosine.
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 15, 2006

                          I just read Dane’s post about the BottomSiders padded seat for the Xtracycle, then I looked at the rideyourbike.com/Xtracycle link. I checked it all out, but something REALLY got my attention.

                          I noticed there is a photo of an “Xtracycled” blue Colnago, which has the caption “Aaron's Fixed Xtracycle Quick-Release Convertible.” Am I understanding this correctly?! Is Aaron’s bike a FIXED Xtracycle… as in how track bikes are set up??? If so how is the issue of horizontal dropouts (needed for fixed bikes) resolved?

                          I am wondering because working as a bike messenger in NYC I have MANY messenger friends, who ride fixed/track bikes. As it is, I recently switched out my Xtracycled bike to a single-speed freewheel, but I thought it would be amusing to modify it further so it is somehow a fixed bike… just to mess with my friends even more, who think me riding a single-speed cargo bike is pretty hardcore.

                          Keep in mind I do not think riding on a fixed cargo bike on a daily basis for hours on end while carrying tons of stuff for messenger work in Manhattan traffic would be all that great, but showing up to a fixed-bike-only messenger race on a cargo bike just once would floor everyone.

              _TONE_

            • Juergen Weichert
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 15, 2006
                Tone wrote:

                > I just read Dane’s post about the BottomSiders padded seat for the
                > Xtracycle, then I looked at the rideyourbike.com/Xtracycle link. I
                > checked it all out, but something REALLY got my attention.
                >
                > I noticed there is a photo of an “Xtracycled” blue Colnago, which has
                > the caption “Aaron's Fixed Xtracycle Quick-Release Convertible.” Am I
                > understanding this correctly?! Is Aaron’s bike a FIXED Xtracycle… as
                > in how track bikes are set up??? If so how is the issue of horizontal
                > dropouts (needed for fixed bikes) resolved?
                >
                > I am wondering because working as a bike messenger in NYC I have MANY
                > messenger friends, who ride fixed/track bikes. As it is, I recently
                > switched out my Xtracycled bike to a single-speed freewheel, but I
                > thought it would be amusing to modify it further so it is somehow a
                > fixed bike… just to mess with my friends even more, who think me
                > riding a single-speed cargo bike is pretty hardcore.
                >
                > Keep in mind I do not think riding on a fixed cargo bike on a daily
                > basis for hours on end while carrying tons of stuff for messenger work
                > in Manhattan traffic would be all that great, but showing up to a
                > fixed-bike-only messenger race on a cargo bike just once would floor
                > everyone.
                >
                > _/TONE/_

                You can tension your chain by moving the entire Xtracycle frame fore and
                back in the bike dropouts - assuming the base bike has horizontal drops.
                Otherwise everything is the same.

                Juergen
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 15, 2006
                  Juergen,
                  Ah, there lies the inherent problem then. Alas I have only
                  vertical dropouts and I do not intend on changing frames any time soon.

                  This brings me to another question I have then. Once again the
                  caption of Aaron's blue Colnago says "Fixed Xtracycle Quick-Release
                  Convertible." As I understand it then, and according to a hint of the
                  quick release lever in the photo, instead of the normal bolts supplied
                  by Xtracycle there are a pair of quick-release bolts (like perhaps seat
                  post levers?) connecting the two primary bolt attachment points of the
                  Xtracycle to the horizontal dropouts of Aaron's bike?
                  As I always understood it, quick-release bolts are unable to
                  supply enough tension/grip for a fixed bike's horizontal drop outs. This
                  makes me wonder if the two quick release bolts on Aaron's bike are
                  enough to provide a safe non-slipping attachment point for such a fixed
                  set up. Am I missing something or unclear on how it is set up?
                  _TONE_
                • Pete.B
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 16, 2006
                    Tone,

                    To go fixed on the X posess the same challenge as "fixing" any modern vertical dropout equipped bike.

                    It will involve some extra work to acheive a workable result.

                    There are three main options that don't involve having to fit new horizontal dropouts.

                    Careful choice of front and rear gearing with the possible use of a KMC half link <http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?id=1274 > could get you there.

                    A more expensive option is to build a new rear wheel around a White Industries Eno eccentric hub, http://www.whiteind.com/ENO_Products/eric.html

                    Or maybe this very creative solution where a floating chainring is used to take up the slack. http://www.mtbr.com/faq/MTBR_com%20Single%20Speed%20FAQ%20v1_0_files/ghostChainring.jpg

                    Rgds