Re: [rootsradicals] Lock box for bike??

  • Sue
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 14 8:31 PM
      Might look into using an army surplus ammo box. They are waterproof I believe and pretty easy to adapt to use a pad lock. I've also seen people use small coolers with hasp/latch attached for the pad lock.

      Sue ~ Starfox

      When you expect something, it will come. When you believe something it will come. When you fear something it will come. You will get what you think about, always, It is the “Law of Attraction

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 14 9:22 PM

        Greetings,

                    My name is Tone and I am a bike messenger in New York City, who rides an Xtracycled bike. I am new to this RootsRadical group, but not new to the Xtracycle or the Xtracycle forums.

        Jon,

                    I noticed your question about a lock box for the Xtracycle, and I may have a solution for you, although it is definitely not my idea. I happened to be reading some of the forums recently and came across a string of posts about your very same inquiry. Apparently a couple of people have utilized lock boxes for motorcycles, like the kind you would lock a motorcycle helmet in while walking around after riding to a destination. They are a decent size, but not all that heavy, waterproof and lockable. I would imagine this would be what you are looking for.

        _TONE_

      • Christopher Palmer
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 14 11:57 PM
          I fabricated a box of aluminum that fits under the snapdeck, and
          above the tire...it is somewhat triangular. The door for it is under
          so no one pays it any attention. I also installed a 12V gel cell in
          it for my lighting system, and a switch on it so I can turn it all on
          nice and easy. Maybe I'll take pix of it this weekend.

          CTP

          >I need to come up with some way to lock up my wallet, cell phone, and
          >dry clothes when I freedive off my bike.
          >
          > I had thought about buying a larger kayaking drybag and just drag
          >everything along with me when I dive, but then I thought about
          >mounting some kind of locked, possible waterproof, box onto the top of
          >the snap deck. I thought that I could also carry all my normal stuff
          >in there everyday- pump, tools, spare tires, ect.
          >
          >Has anyone else on here mounted any kind of a permanent "trunk" onto
          >their Xtracycle yet?
          >
          >Thanks,
          >
          >Jon
          >

          >You're getting this message because you signed up to be an Xtracycle
          >roots radical.

          >ride to believe.
          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Steve Pepper
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 15 9:01 AM
            A Motorcycle/Moped topbox might be an answer

            Steve
            Harrogate
            uk

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 16 8:36 AM
              I free dive also off ventura county in california
              though I dont have an xtracycle

              Dont know if you use any kind of float but my thinking
              is keep the wallet etc. with you in an otter box or
              pelican box. This should cover the situation in which
              the bike gets stolen.

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Jon" <freedive_wi@...> wrote:

              > I need to come up with some way to lock up my wallet, cell phone, and
              > dry clothes when I freedive off my bike.
              >
              > I had thought about buying a larger kayaking drybag and just drag
              > everything along with me when I dive, but then I thought about
              > mounting some kind of locked, possible waterproof, box onto the top of
              > the snap deck. I thought that I could also carry all my normal stuff
              > in there everyday- pump, tools, spare tires, ect.
              >
              > Has anyone else on here mounted any kind of a permanent "trunk" onto
              > their Xtracycle yet?
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Jon

            • Jon
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 16 6:52 PM
                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "pystanis" <pystanis@...>
                wrote:

                > I free dive also off ventura county in california
                > though I dont have an xtracycle
                >
                > Dont know if you use any kind of float but my thinking
                > is keep the wallet etc. with you in an otter box or
                > pelican box. This should cover the situation in which
                > the bike gets stolen.
                >
                > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Jon" <freedive_wi@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I need to come up with some way to lock up my wallet, cell
                phone, and
                > > dry clothes when I freedive off my bike.
                > >
                > > I had thought about buying a larger kayaking drybag and just
                drag
                > > everything along with me when I dive, but then I thought about
                > > mounting some kind of locked, possible waterproof, box onto the
                top of
                > > the snap deck. I thought that I could also carry all my normal
                stuff
                > > in there everyday- pump, tools, spare tires, ect.
                > >
                > > Has anyone else on here mounted any kind of a permanent "trunk"
                onto
                > > their Xtracycle yet?
                > >
                > > Thanks,
                > >
                > > Jon

                I've got a few different floats for different reasons. For this I
                would use either my Sporasub torpedo or my OMER America float.

                I have a small drybag that I already use in my divekayak so that
                would be enough for just a wallet and keys. I am looking for
                something larger to hold my cloths- bike can be locked to a tree. :)

                I plan on trying to get to a motorcycle shop some time this week and
                look at a helmet box. If that doesn't work I guess i would switch to
                a larger drybag to drag everything with.

                thanks,

                Jon
              • Jon
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 22 7:31 AM
                  I went to a local motorcycle shop and looked at a helmet box, as well
                  as some scooter trunks, and found them to be too big- and too pricey!

                  I think what I have decided to do is to use a Pelican, waterproof, box
                  and attach it the the snap deck. I think I can do this by putting a
                  couple of small slits into the bottom of the box and running hose
                  clamps through them, around the rack, and attach them back on the
                  inside of the box so there's no acces to the adjustment screw.

                  Since Pelican makes so many different sized boxes I can choose
                  something a little more suited for the bike.

                  Thanks again for the ideas.

                  Jon
                • Ryano

                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 22 8:44 AM
                      Hi Jon,

                      I'm the only xtracycle I've ever seen in the manufacturer's home town,
                      Taichung, Taiwan. Ordinary bikes, however, are very common. Most high
                      school students ride bikes. I've noticed some clever arrangements for
                      carrying storage boxes on the back of ordinary bikes. They use ordinary
                      plastic boxes like the storage boxes you can pick up at a discount store
                      (sweater boxes, etc.). The boxes are almost typhoon-proof, but all
                      that's really needed is a good lid. The important things are ease of
                      access, keeping box contents dry during a thunderstorm, and keeping the
                      bike from spraying that black streak up your back. So, any plastic box
                      with lid will do. So, maybe you don't need a designated 'motorbike box'
                      or to 'un-waterproof' a waterproof box. Maybe a cheap storage container
                      will work just as well.

                      Maybe, if you find a motorbike shop in a China town, you can find the
                      cheap plastic motorbike boxes. They're common in Taiwan. Some of these
                      boxes even come with built-in locks. They're very light weight and the
                      perfect dimensions to hang from a v-rack. Well, they're deep enough and
                      have enough width, but are not as long as a v-rack or a freeloader.
                      Most have some sort of metal reinforcement and hardware for attaching
                      them to a motorbike. I used one as a pannier off my pre-freeradical bike.

                      To see what I'm trying to describe in boxes, try these links
                      Storage box: http://web.thu.edu.tw/caralinb/www/StorageBox2.JPG
                      Motorbike box: http://web.thu.edu.tw/caralinb/www/MotorbikeBox.JPG

                      CL

                      Jon wrote:
                      > I went to a local motorcycle shop and looked at a helmet box, as well
                      > as some scooter trunks, and found them to be too big- and too pricey!
                      >
                      > I think what I have decided to do is to use a Pelican, waterproof, box
                      > and attach it the the snap deck. I think I can do this by putting a
                      > couple of small slits into the bottom of the box and running hose
                      > clamps through them, around the rack, and attach them back on the
                      > inside of the box so there's no acces to the adjustment screw.
                      >
                      > Since Pelican makes so many different sized boxes I can choose
                      > something a little more suited for the bike.
                      >
                      > Thanks again for the ideas.
                      >
                      > Jon

                    • Ryano
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 22 9:09 AM
                        There are lots of these cheap Chinese motorcycle boxes sold in Japan too, and they are quite popular as bicycle boxes also.  They are nicely built, have a built in lock, reflectors and are nice and lightweight.  Much better than the expensive brand-name motorcycle models which are much heavier.

                        I often see these on bicycles lately for example:

                        http://page15.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/t14138839

                        Sold for about 30dollars they are 20 liters (about the size of a motorcycle helmet...).

                        Jon wrote:
                        > I went to a local motorcycle shop and looked at a helmet box, as well
                        > as some scooter trunks, and found them to be too big- and too pricey!
                        >
                        > I think what I have decided to do is to use a Pelican, waterproof, box
                        > and attach it the the snap deck. I think I can do this by putting a
                        > couple of small slits into the bottom of the box and running hose
                        > clamps through them, around the rack, and attach them back on the
                        > inside of the box so there's no acces to the adjustment screw.
                        >
                        > Since Pelican makes so many different sized boxes I can choose
                        > something a little more suited for the bike.
                        >
                        > Thanks again for the ideas.
                        >
                        > Jon

                      • Juergen Weichert
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 22 1:23 PM
                          Check out tool boxes. The plastic ones are cheap, light, strong, and
                          available in just about any size. Many of them have a place for a
                          padlock. Most will keep the contents dry too.

                          Juergen