Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Intro and a couple questions

  • Mark Garvey
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 6, 2008
      On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 1:20 PM, Jeff Ong <ong@...> wrote:

      Don't do it! You will really miss having a relatively quick, nimble
      bike when you don't need to carry much load.

      I can see Jeff's point and somewhat agree with  him.  On the other hand, I have a mountain bike with 700c wheels that I set up for quick riding, carrying around when we (rarely) travel and for "recreational" rides.

      BUT what happened was, I never ride it!  It is sitting in my garage, and I have to keep moving it all the time so I can manouver my X and my PPV in and out. (think the X is bulky? Try a 4 ft wide, 7 ft long 2 ft high plastic wedge with wheels that weighs 120 lbs!  yikes!  note.  for all that, the X carries MORE STUFF!)

      Here is a thought.  TRY the X on your present bike that you like so much.  The X is not a permanent installation.   IF you don't like it, then swap it to the Trek or some other bike.  I liked my Jamis Durango Sport a LOT as a bike.  I added the X and now I am almost NEVER without it.  and I don't do a lot of "recreational" rides.  yesterday, I rode to a park where they hold a farmers market.  I carried my Balloon pump (which is a hunk of PVC 3 ft long!) my bag of balloons and a bag with my swimming gear in it.   I worked the Farmers Market at the park from 8 until 11 then rolled to the other end of the park and went swimming with my wife, who met me there.   After swimming, I rode to a local mall to make a purchase, and then home.  a total of maybe 18 or 19 miles total by the time the day was through.  Yes I had my e-assist on the bike and it makes a difference, but not that much!

      The bike/X combination is not all that heavy. 3-4 lbs more than your standard bike.  the only "difficulty" might be with the length if you have a limited space to stash it.

      Personally, I would SUGGEST that you give the Surly a try with the X.  If it works, you have a great combination that you like, if not, you can swap it at the cost of two cables!  And maybe not even that.