24" wheels on a big dummy or xtracycle

  • stoutag
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 3, 2008
      I know this is just another spin on the supermonkey benefits, but I'm
      toying around with rebuilding the wheels with 24" rims instead of the
      current 26" rims, and cutting down the v-racks an inch to lower the
      kids a total of 2" and make it easier for the wife to put a foot down
      while in the saddle.

      I know at least a couple people here have done xtracycles with 24"
      wheels and Aaron mentions it on the rideyourbike site briefly.

      Anyone care to offer further thoughts on this?
    • Victor Khong
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 3, 2008
        Perfectly fine.  Lowers the centre of gravity and certainly helps with the extra load.
        You will need revised braking solutions.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 3, 2008
          I'm using disc brakes, so that's a non-issue.

          Were you the one that runs this setup with your kids, and if so is the
          difference noteworthy?

          Thanks,
          Anthony

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Victor Khong <victorkhong@...>

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 3, 2008
            Nope.  I have 26" wheels on a small. compact MTB frame with Wilderness Energy front hub 600W motor.

            wrote:

            > Perfectly fine. Lowers the centre of gravity and certainly helps
            with the extra load.
            > You will need revised braking solutions.

          • Sue Brown
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 3, 2008
              I love my 24" wheels. Haven't scraped the chainring yet, even dropping off large curbs.
              The lowered standover height is perfect for me.
              Also, the 24's make the 203mm rotors look huge,
              Which makes me even cooler than normal ;)

              Sue
              Xtrasue.com for pics

              Sent from my iPhone

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 3, 2008
                I know they exist, but I want someone's recommendation for where I can
                find a layback seatpost for my Surly instigator. Surly reports the
                seatpost diameter should be 29.4 mm

                Also, does anyone have any measurements for the c-shaped handlebars
                advertized on the xtracycle site? I'm interested in width between the
                ends and depth (perpendicular distance from clamp to ends--as in 'how
                much do they sweep back').

                CL
              • njal555
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 4, 2008
                  The folks at Xtracycle have told me that their C handle bars are about
                  27" wide by 13" deep.

                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <cara.lin@...>
                  wrote:

                  > I know they exist, but I want someone's recommendation for where I can
                  > find a layback seatpost for my Surly instigator. Surly reports the
                  > seatpost diameter should be 29.4 mm
                  >
                  > Also, does anyone have any measurements for the c-shaped handlebars
                  > advertized on the xtracycle site? I'm interested in width between the
                  > ends and depth (perpendicular distance from clamp to ends--as in 'how
                  > much do they sweep back').
                  >
                  > CL

                • rktrujillo
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 7, 2008
                  • rktrujillo
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 7, 2008
                      I run 24" rear and 26" rear fixed. The difference is very noticable but
                      i converted from 700c wheels with 28mm tires. If you run 26" with
                      skinny tires you may not feel much difference. With passengers it
                      makes a big difference if they have proper foot pegs and bars to
                      balance themselves and actually ride the bike. If you use the typical
                      setup that I see in most of the photos, no foot pegs and a short handle
                      too far forward, the passenger will not be able to balance correctly
                      and will be worse then dead weight because the will be constantly
                      correcting their balance. proper foot pegs or a wide loader at the
                      proper height (cut down the v racks as much as possible) and a long
                      stem with a good bar will make more of a difference than wheel size for
                      passengers. Once that is in place the smaller wheel helps mucho.