Re: Best Xtracycle Tires

  • Jake Wilson
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2008
      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cathode Ray <ray@...> wrote:

      > I started with a 700c FreeRadical, but very soon found out that I
      > couldn't run the tires I wanted. So I got a disk brake 26" rear
      > wheel. The 700c front / 26" rear combination works really well.

      ~~~Are you using the 700c free radical now Ray?

      Jake
      Reddick Fla.

      > At 7:00 PM +0000 1/7/08, Michael wrote:
      > >I have 700c wheels and the 700c FreeRadical. I am currently using
      > >stock tires (700c x 38c inflated to 90 PSI). I would love to buy a
      > >pair of Big Apples but the widest tires (so far as Xtracycle has told
      > >me) I can have are 37mm.
      > >
      > >Can anyone recommend a smooth ride given these constraints?
      >
      > Dear Michael
      >
      > I started with a 700c FreeRadical, but very soon found out that I
      > couldn't run the tires I wanted. So I got a disk brake 26" rear
      > wheel. The 700c front / 26" rear combination works really well.
      >
      > ray

    • Cathode Ray
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 2, 2008
        At 12:57 AM +0000 2/7/08, Jake Wilson wrote:
        >~~~Are you using the 700c free radical now Ray?

        Dear Jake

        The 700c and 26" FreeRadical are the exactly the same except for the
        position of the V-brake mounts. So with disc brakes you can use a 26"
        wheel in the 700c FreeRadical. There is heaps of room for ~almost~
        any size 26" tire. I use 2" Schwalbe Marathon. The Big Apple 2" will
        work just as well, but here in inland Australia there are very large
        thorns, so I need the extra protection of the Marthon tires.

        ray
      • Jake Wilson
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 2, 2008
          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cathode Ray <ray@...> wrote:

          > At 12:57 AM +0000 2/7/08, Jake Wilson wrote:
          > >~~~Are you using the 700c free radical now Ray?
          >
          > Dear Jake
          >
          > The 700c and 26" FreeRadical are the exactly the same except for the
          > position of the V-brake mounts. So with disc brakes you can use a 26"
          > wheel in the 700c FreeRadical. There is heaps of room for ~almost~
          > any size 26" tire. I use 2" Schwalbe Marathon. The Big Apple 2" will
          > work just as well, but here in inland Australia there are very large
          > thorns, so I need the extra protection of the Marthon tires.
          >
          > ray

          ~~~Hi Ray, Okay, so you are using a 26" rear wheel in a free radical
          set up with 26" rim brakes. What if I were to install a 700c wheel
          with a disc hub, used a disc brake (negating the need for rim brakes),
          could I get a 622 X 50 Big Apple tire in the free rad?

          I'm asking as I have a 700c free rad being shipped to me from the fine
          Xtracycle folks. I'm fitting this free rad to my 58 cm Surly Long Haul
          Trucker

          I didn't investigate the tire situation sizing (my bad) before
          ordering, figuring I could run a wider tire than the 37 mm Conti
          Contact that is on my LHT now

          something else I have been kicking around has been to do an e assist
          kit and probably a bionix at that, so maybe I should consider using a
          hub motor in a 26" rim...but if I could fit 50 mm Big Apple tires on a
          700c rim (with disc brakes as the bionix hub is)...

          Jake
          Reddick Fla.