Kickstands

  • phaedrus
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1 1:21 PM
      > On a related note, I keep hoping that Xtracycle's centerstand will
      > come available soon, but may have to pull out the welder before then
      > if not soon. But does anyone know of a beefier kickstand than the
      > greenfield unit? That one does not inspire any confidence when the
      > bike is loaded with groceries and two kids, and I can't justify
      > spending almost $400 for Val's custom xtracycle centerstand.

      So far, the Pletscher ESGE Zoom for ~$20 is the strongest I've found.
      It is definitely fairing better than the greenfield I had on there
      before.

      I do think I may have bent it a little when I was trying "fake track
      stands" by flipping it down as I came to a stop, using it to help me
      balance, then kicking it back up once I was rolling again, but it
      doesn't seem to be getting worse now that I've stopped that. My
      biggest concern is that its aluminum so if it does fail, it may be
      sudden.

      Stock picture of the kickstand via google.
      http://www.thorusa.com/zoom11.jpg

      They're not that expensive, so I'll "take one for the team" and stop
      being cautious with it -- if it does snap, I'll report what it took.

      FWIW, I wasn't thrilled by Pletcher's bifurcated kickstand when I had
      the opportunity to try it on a tandem recumbent a while back, but it
      may work better as a broader-base side stand on a longtail.

      - phaedrus
    • Devian Gilbert
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1 3:03 PM
        hmm...???
        i guess it will be the "next" kickstand for my Dummy...after this one breaks (GreenField)... i've already broke 2 greenfields since March.  both have broke at the pivot.

        d-