Re: Best Xtracycle Tires

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2008
      Great thread, thanks!

      I have 700c wheels and the 700c FreeRadical. I am currently using
      stock tires (700c x 38c inflated to 90 PSI). I would love to buy a
      pair of Big Apples but the widest tires (so far as Xtracycle has told
      me) I can have are 37mm.

      Can anyone recommend a smooth ride given these constraints?

      Thanks!

      Michael

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "akyramoto" <akyramoto@...> wrote:

      > I just got a pair of Swchalbe Big apples in 2.0's, due to how many
      > other xtracyclist use them. So far I like them, they are a bit heavier
      > than my previous tires ( stock for my bike - tioga city slickers
      > 1.5's). But I like knowing that they can handle heavy loads & are
      > extremely durable. Love the reflective stripe too!!
      >
      > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Bill <coteau@> wrote:
      > >
      > > the bike guru suggests that if you have two size tires, the fatter
      > should be
      > > on the front. Seems like good reasoning to me.

    • Cathode Ray
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2008
        At 7:00 PM +0000 1/7/08, Michael wrote:
        >I have 700c wheels and the 700c FreeRadical. I am currently using
        >stock tires (700c x 38c inflated to 90 PSI). I would love to buy a
        >pair of Big Apples but the widest tires (so far as Xtracycle has told
        >me) I can have are 37mm.
        >
        >Can anyone recommend a smooth ride given these constraints?

        Dear Michael

        I started with a 700c FreeRadical, but very soon found out that I
        couldn't run the tires I wanted. So I got a disk brake 26" rear
        wheel. The 700c front / 26" rear combination works really well.

        ray
      • Jake Wilson
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1, 2008
          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cathode Ray <ray@...> wrote:

          > I started with a 700c FreeRadical, but very soon found out that I
          > couldn't run the tires I wanted. So I got a disk brake 26" rear
          > wheel. The 700c front / 26" rear combination works really well.

          ~~~Are you using the 700c free radical now Ray?

          Jake
          Reddick Fla.

          > At 7:00 PM +0000 1/7/08, Michael wrote:
          > >I have 700c wheels and the 700c FreeRadical. I am currently using
          > >stock tires (700c x 38c inflated to 90 PSI). I would love to buy a
          > >pair of Big Apples but the widest tires (so far as Xtracycle has told
          > >me) I can have are 37mm.
          > >
          > >Can anyone recommend a smooth ride given these constraints?
          >
          > Dear Michael
          >
          > I started with a 700c FreeRadical, but very soon found out that I
          > couldn't run the tires I wanted. So I got a disk brake 26" rear
          > wheel. The 700c front / 26" rear combination works really well.
          >
          > ray

        • Cathode Ray
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 2, 2008
            At 12:57 AM +0000 2/7/08, Jake Wilson wrote:
            >~~~Are you using the 700c free radical now Ray?

            Dear Jake

            The 700c and 26" FreeRadical are the exactly the same except for the
            position of the V-brake mounts. So with disc brakes you can use a 26"
            wheel in the 700c FreeRadical. There is heaps of room for ~almost~
            any size 26" tire. I use 2" Schwalbe Marathon. The Big Apple 2" will
            work just as well, but here in inland Australia there are very large
            thorns, so I need the extra protection of the Marthon tires.

            ray
          • Jake Wilson
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 2, 2008
              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cathode Ray <ray@...> wrote:

              > At 12:57 AM +0000 2/7/08, Jake Wilson wrote:
              > >~~~Are you using the 700c free radical now Ray?
              >
              > Dear Jake
              >
              > The 700c and 26" FreeRadical are the exactly the same except for the
              > position of the V-brake mounts. So with disc brakes you can use a 26"
              > wheel in the 700c FreeRadical. There is heaps of room for ~almost~
              > any size 26" tire. I use 2" Schwalbe Marathon. The Big Apple 2" will
              > work just as well, but here in inland Australia there are very large
              > thorns, so I need the extra protection of the Marthon tires.
              >
              > ray

              ~~~Hi Ray, Okay, so you are using a 26" rear wheel in a free radical
              set up with 26" rim brakes. What if I were to install a 700c wheel
              with a disc hub, used a disc brake (negating the need for rim brakes),
              could I get a 622 X 50 Big Apple tire in the free rad?

              I'm asking as I have a 700c free rad being shipped to me from the fine
              Xtracycle folks. I'm fitting this free rad to my 58 cm Surly Long Haul
              Trucker

              I didn't investigate the tire situation sizing (my bad) before
              ordering, figuring I could run a wider tire than the 37 mm Conti
              Contact that is on my LHT now

              something else I have been kicking around has been to do an e assist
              kit and probably a bionix at that, so maybe I should consider using a
              hub motor in a 26" rim...but if I could fit 50 mm Big Apple tires on a
              700c rim (with disc brakes as the bionix hub is)...

              Jake
              Reddick Fla.