Re: Best Xtracycle Tires

  • akyramoto
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2008
      I just got a pair of Swchalbe Big apples in 2.0's, due to how many
      other xtracyclist use them. So far I like them, they are a bit heavier
      than my previous tires ( stock for my bike - tioga city slickers
      1.5's). But I like knowing that they can handle heavy loads & are
      extremely durable. Love the reflective stripe too!!

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Bill <coteau@...> wrote:

      > the bike guru suggests that if you have two size tires, the fatter
      should be
      > on the front. Seems like good reasoning to me.

    • Michael
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2008
        Great thread, thanks!

        I have 700c wheels and the 700c FreeRadical. I am currently using
        stock tires (700c x 38c inflated to 90 PSI). I would love to buy a
        pair of Big Apples but the widest tires (so far as Xtracycle has told
        me) I can have are 37mm.

        Can anyone recommend a smooth ride given these constraints?

        Thanks!

        Michael

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "akyramoto" <akyramoto@...> wrote:

        > I just got a pair of Swchalbe Big apples in 2.0's, due to how many
        > other xtracyclist use them. So far I like them, they are a bit heavier
        > than my previous tires ( stock for my bike - tioga city slickers
        > 1.5's). But I like knowing that they can handle heavy loads & are
        > extremely durable. Love the reflective stripe too!!
        >
        > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Bill <coteau@> wrote:
        > >
        > > the bike guru suggests that if you have two size tires, the fatter
        > should be
        > > on the front. Seems like good reasoning to me.

      • Cathode Ray
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1, 2008
          At 7:00 PM +0000 1/7/08, Michael wrote:
          >I have 700c wheels and the 700c FreeRadical. I am currently using
          >stock tires (700c x 38c inflated to 90 PSI). I would love to buy a
          >pair of Big Apples but the widest tires (so far as Xtracycle has told
          >me) I can have are 37mm.
          >
          >Can anyone recommend a smooth ride given these constraints?

          Dear Michael

          I started with a 700c FreeRadical, but very soon found out that I
          couldn't run the tires I wanted. So I got a disk brake 26" rear
          wheel. The 700c front / 26" rear combination works really well.

          ray
        • Jake Wilson
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 1, 2008
            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cathode Ray <ray@...> wrote:

            > I started with a 700c FreeRadical, but very soon found out that I
            > couldn't run the tires I wanted. So I got a disk brake 26" rear
            > wheel. The 700c front / 26" rear combination works really well.

            ~~~Are you using the 700c free radical now Ray?

            Jake
            Reddick Fla.

            > At 7:00 PM +0000 1/7/08, Michael wrote:
            > >I have 700c wheels and the 700c FreeRadical. I am currently using
            > >stock tires (700c x 38c inflated to 90 PSI). I would love to buy a
            > >pair of Big Apples but the widest tires (so far as Xtracycle has told
            > >me) I can have are 37mm.
            > >
            > >Can anyone recommend a smooth ride given these constraints?
            >
            > Dear Michael
            >
            > I started with a 700c FreeRadical, but very soon found out that I
            > couldn't run the tires I wanted. So I got a disk brake 26" rear
            > wheel. The 700c front / 26" rear combination works really well.
            >
            > ray

          • Cathode Ray
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 2, 2008
              At 12:57 AM +0000 2/7/08, Jake Wilson wrote:
              >~~~Are you using the 700c free radical now Ray?

              Dear Jake

              The 700c and 26" FreeRadical are the exactly the same except for the
              position of the V-brake mounts. So with disc brakes you can use a 26"
              wheel in the 700c FreeRadical. There is heaps of room for ~almost~
              any size 26" tire. I use 2" Schwalbe Marathon. The Big Apple 2" will
              work just as well, but here in inland Australia there are very large
              thorns, so I need the extra protection of the Marthon tires.

              ray
            • Jake Wilson
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 2, 2008
                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cathode Ray <ray@...> wrote:

                > At 12:57 AM +0000 2/7/08, Jake Wilson wrote:
                > >~~~Are you using the 700c free radical now Ray?
                >
                > Dear Jake
                >
                > The 700c and 26" FreeRadical are the exactly the same except for the
                > position of the V-brake mounts. So with disc brakes you can use a 26"
                > wheel in the 700c FreeRadical. There is heaps of room for ~almost~
                > any size 26" tire. I use 2" Schwalbe Marathon. The Big Apple 2" will
                > work just as well, but here in inland Australia there are very large
                > thorns, so I need the extra protection of the Marthon tires.
                >
                > ray

                ~~~Hi Ray, Okay, so you are using a 26" rear wheel in a free radical
                set up with 26" rim brakes. What if I were to install a 700c wheel
                with a disc hub, used a disc brake (negating the need for rim brakes),
                could I get a 622 X 50 Big Apple tire in the free rad?

                I'm asking as I have a 700c free rad being shipped to me from the fine
                Xtracycle folks. I'm fitting this free rad to my 58 cm Surly Long Haul
                Trucker

                I didn't investigate the tire situation sizing (my bad) before
                ordering, figuring I could run a wider tire than the 37 mm Conti
                Contact that is on my LHT now

                something else I have been kicking around has been to do an e assist
                kit and probably a bionix at that, so maybe I should consider using a
                hub motor in a 26" rim...but if I could fit 50 mm Big Apple tires on a
                700c rim (with disc brakes as the bionix hub is)...

                Jake
                Reddick Fla.