Snapdeck Kidseat pics

  • stoutag
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 30, 2008
      We finished (is there really ever such a thing with a bike project as "finished" ;) our
      snapdeck seats for our two kiddos. It definitely takes some inspiration from Mark Kohr.
      As I thought about the design over a few months, I found I kept coming to a lot of the
      same conclusion on the smaller design details.

      We added and changed some things that we felt took the design to the next generation
      such as sliding adjustable shoulder straps and higher backs for head support. We also
      incorporated a sunshade design since we live in the land of very strong sun (Colorado)
      and since we're planning a tour later this summer and wanted some shade for the hottest
      parts of the day.

      Up till this point we'd been using a Chariot trailer, and one thing is for certain, this is
      MUCH more efficient. It weighs less, rolls faster and is without a doubt more
      aerodynamic.

      Changes yet to come will be a full rain canopy for those afternoon thunderstorms and cold
      winter days. We might also add some mesh to cut the sun a bit further on legs and arms.

      We made pattern pieces and are planning to take some pictures with some scale and post
      them up for knowledge share. Hopefully at some point a creative cycling company will
      step up to the plate and start making something production to suit this task. We've only
      ridden with it for two days now and keep getting very encouraging comments, so I have
      little doubt there's a market.

      Here's our flickr account.

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/25872288@N06/
    • kest918
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 1, 2008
        Wow! Excellent job. The sleeping kiddies is a testament to solid
        craftsmanship, too. What did you use to fasten the seats to the X?

        Mike

        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 1, 2008
          We used some industrial stainless p-clamps from the bottom side and
          set tee nuts from the top of the deck.

          We used 12mm marine grade plywood, a lot of stainless steel fasteners.
          The shoulder harnesses are from our chariot trailer and we sought out
          the same brand of buckles so we can in a moment swap them back and
          forth between the bike and the trailer. The sunshades were my wife's
          idea as we had one of them from our deuter kid comfort pack. She had
          the idea of buying a second one and making sleeves for each seat so
          that they are height adjustable. It works very well at keeping the
          sun off their heads core bodies.

          They had a bit of a hard time napping on our first longer ride with
          it, I think mostly because there's so much more visual stimulus on
          this setup than the trailer, but successive rides they seem just as
          quick to konk out as they were in the trailer.

          I'm running 2.25" Schwalbe Marathon XR's at balloon bike pressures
          (~25-30psi) and it seems to smooth out the ride better than the
          chariot trailer's suspension did.
        • Patrick Barber/Holly McGuire
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 1, 2008
            Beautifully done. I especially like the sunshade and potential for
            rain protection, since that seems to be the biggest disadvantage to
            the bike-seat when compared to a trailer or bakfiets. The wood is
            gorgeous, as is the construction. Please do post the design, we'd love
            to take a stab at it ourselves when the time comes.

            Thanks!

            patrick

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 1, 2008
              Will do.

              On a related note, I keep hoping that Xtracycle's centerstand will
              come available soon, but may have to pull out the welder before then
              if not soon. But does anyone know of a beefier kickstand than the
              greenfield unit? That one does not inspire any confidence when the
              bike is loaded with groceries and two kids, and I can't justify
              spending almost $400 for Val's custom xtracycle centerstand.

              Yeah that was part of the decision making process for us in going this
              route over bakfiets, is that we had to have a way of building in
              weather protection. Everything else about the xtracycle suited our
              purposes better, so yeah we're psyched at how well and easily the
              shades tied into the design. I have some ideas to make the rain and
              cold weather canopy a pretty clean and easy to use design.

              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Barber/Holly McGuire"
              <patrick@...> wrote:

              > Beautifully done. I especially like the sunshade and potential for
              > rain protection, since that seems to be the biggest disadvantage to
              > the bike-seat when compared to a trailer or bakfiets. The wood is
              > gorgeous, as is the construction. Please do post the design, we'd love
              > to take a stab at it ourselves when the time comes.
              >
              > Thanks!
              >
              > patrick
              >

              > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "stoutag" <thestouts@> wrote:
              > >
              > > We used some industrial stainless p-clamps from the bottom side and
              > > set tee nuts from the top of the deck.
              > >
              > > We used 12mm marine grade plywood, a lot of stainless steel fasteners.
              > > The shoulder harnesses are from our chariot trailer and we sought out
              > > the same brand of buckles so we can in a moment swap them back and
              > > forth between the bike and the trailer. The sunshades were my wife's
              > > idea as we had one of them from our deuter kid comfort pack. She had
              > > the idea of buying a second one and making sleeves for each seat so
              > > that they are height adjustable. It works very well at keeping the
              > > sun off their heads core bodies.
              > >
              > > They had a bit of a hard time napping on our first longer ride with
              > > it, I think mostly because there's so much more visual stimulus on
              > > this setup than the trailer, but successive rides they seem just as
              > > quick to konk out as they were in the trailer.
              > >
              > > I'm running 2.25" Schwalbe Marathon XR's at balloon bike pressures
              > > (~25-30psi) and it seems to smooth out the ride better than the
              > > chariot trailer's suspension did.

            • alexbknight
              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 2, 2008
                Hi,
                very nice!
                More details on the construction please.
                I see what you did with the P-clamps, this is to ensure a solid
                connection between (un) snap deck and the V-racks. How did you join
                the 12mm ply together, is this just glued if not what kind of
                fasteners, it looks clean. Maybe just post another photo of a close
                up of the inside of one of the seat would be enough.

                Thanks again for posting this, it gets me a little closer to my 2 kid
                set up...

                Well done

                Alex

                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 2, 2008
                  We used 12mm marine plywood for its waterproof glue (avoid
                  delamination if an edge gets chipped then wetted. I pre-drilled a ton
                  of holes on each junction so as not to split the wood when screwing.
                  I striped the mating edge with gorilla glue then screwed together. So
                  all said and done the bonds should be quite strong.

                  The order of assembly was seat back to wedge shaped rear facing
                  support. Then I attached the sides drilling from the backsides of the
                  seats, so that the upper portions of the seats were fully assembled.
                  Then I lined them up on the base, clamped, pre-drilled, glued and
                  screwed the uppers down to the base.

                  Some tips on working with marine plywood, its has more plys for a
                  given thickness, and consequently requires some extra care in working
                  with it. We clamped a backer block for all holes drilled through the
                  wood such as for the tee nuts, otherwise it will blow out the backside
                  and make a mess of splinters. Also you have to be real careful
                  sanding the edges or routing to avoid splintering it. I even had to
                  saw away from the grain line and use very sharp finishing blades to
                  keep from chipping it like mad.

                  for the straps I had a local shop put metal grommets in webbing so
                  that I count mount tee-nuts from the back sides for a threaded insert
                  then use a fastener to mount the straps via the metal grommets. Its
                  all VERY secure.

                  The assembly and prep sanding of the seats took the better part of a
                  day with my wife and I working largely together. The puttying,
                  further sanding, staining, varnishing was done in a little bit of free
                  time here and there over the following week. Exactly one week after
                  starting, we were assembling it on the bike and putting the finishing
                  touches on it.

                  The pads are a cordura covers that my wife sewed with a combination of
                  a closed cell foam backing and an open cell foam upper for
                  breathability and shock absorbtion.

                  I'll take some closeup pics of the visible construction details in the
                  next day or so and post them up on our flickr account.

                  Its amazing how many comments we've gotten in the several days we've
                  been using it now. We've had many inspired parents come up to us
                  asking us all about it, and now looking into xtracycle kits. I'm not
                  sure what it is about this setup compared to a trailer to the average
                  joe, but it sure seems to get people fired up. I know we really like it.

                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "alexbknight" <Alexbknight@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  > very nice!
                  > More details on the construction please.
                  > I see what you did with the P-clamps, this is to ensure a solid
                  > connection between (un) snap deck and the V-racks. How did you join
                  > the 12mm ply together, is this just glued if not what kind of
                  > fasteners, it looks clean. Maybe just post another photo of a close
                  > up of the inside of one of the seat would be enough.
                  >
                  > Thanks again for posting this, it gets me a little closer to my 2 kid
                  > set up...
                  >
                  > Well done
                  >
                  > Alex
                  >

                  > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "stoutag" <thestouts@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > We used some industrial stainless p-clamps from the bottom side and
                  > > set tee nuts from the top of the deck.
                  > >
                  > > We used 12mm marine grade plywood, a lot of stainless steel
                  > fasteners.
                  > > The shoulder harnesses are from our chariot trailer and we sought
                  > out
                  > > the same brand of buckles so we can in a moment swap them back and
                  > > forth between the bike and the trailer. The sunshades were my
                  > wife's
                  > > idea as we had one of them from our deuter kid comfort pack. She
                  > had
                  > > the idea of buying a second one and making sleeves for each seat so
                  > > that they are height adjustable. It works very well at keeping the
                  > > sun off their heads core bodies.
                  > >
                  > > They had a bit of a hard time napping on our first longer ride with
                  > > it, I think mostly because there's so much more visual stimulus on
                  > > this setup than the trailer, but successive rides they seem just as
                  > > quick to konk out as they were in the trailer.
                  > >
                  > > I'm running 2.25" Schwalbe Marathon XR's at balloon bike pressures
                  > > (~25-30psi) and it seems to smooth out the ride better than the
                  > > chariot trailer's suspension did.

                • Greg & Amy Hinson
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 5, 2008
                    Count mine as another voice complimenting you on the handiwork and
                    wanting to know more about the plans. I don't know if I am handy
                    enough to pull it off, but what you did if the perfect answer to what
                    we need!

                    A quick question, I understand why the second seat has a different
                    site shape, to allow the second kid's legs to not be too cramped, but
                    why not cut the first seat to the same shape, to improve the symmetry
                    of the design? (Not meaning this to sound critical at all, I am just
                    curious if there is a reason the front seat needs to be shaped like this?)

                    Greg
                  • stoutag
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 6, 2008
                      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Greg & Amy Hinson" <hinsons@...> wrote:

                      > Count mine as another voice complimenting you on the handiwork and
                      > wanting to know more about the plans. I don't know if I am handy
                      > enough to pull it off, but what you did if the perfect answer to what
                      > we need!
                      >
                      > A quick question, I understand why the second seat has a different
                      > site shape, to allow the second kid's legs to not be too cramped, but
                      > why not cut the first seat to the same shape, to improve the symmetry
                      > of the design? (Not meaning this to sound critical at all, I am just
                      > curious if there is a reason the front seat needs to be shaped like this?)
                      >
                      > Greg

                      Good question. I originally had that shape on both seats, partially for symmetry but more
                      because the seat sides provide the lion's share of the structural support for the back, so I
                      wanted to keep them as long as possible while still providing leg room. I figured it was
                      very likely I'd end up having to do the back angled sides in the rear, and I did think about
                      doing likewise for the front, but just didn't bother in the end.

                      All this is to say, yeah I suppose there's not really any good reason why the front couldn't
                      follow the same shape as the rear.

                      One thing I would probably change if I did it over again would be to recline the seat backs
                      a touch further and make the upper seat sides come forward a touch further so that the
                      kids would have a bit better helmet pocket for sleeping. That had been part of my aim in
                      designing the shape the way I did, but due to a little overzealous use with a belt sander
                      (whoops) the seat backs ended up being a touch more upright and the sides a bit
                      shallower toward the top than I'd first intended.

                      All said and done it still seems to be working very well. Kids are very comfy and do nap
                      quite well in it.
                    • stoutag
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 6, 2008
                        Pics of the details.

                        Here's a seat with padding, straps and sunshade installed. The sunshade is slid up a touch in its sleeve so you can see the upper portion of the adjustable shoulder straps. all straps mounted to the seat have tee-nuts from the back side for a very secure flush mount.

                        Here's a closeup of the sleeves for the sunshade stays, and the adjustable shoulder strap setup.

                        This is the seat with pads out so you can see how all straps are fastened.

                      • Greg & Amy Hinson
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 8, 2008
                          Again, this looks great. Recognizing my own inadequacies when it comes
                          to power tools, I am still looking for similar, commercially available
                          alternatives.

                          Any comments about the products on the following website.
                          Unfortunately, it's in Dutch, but if you click on the link on the left
                          that looks like Products, you'll see their kid seats. I am wondering
                          if these can be modified to fit the free radical (with or without the
                          snap deck in place)?

                          http://www.fietskinderzitje.nl/

                          Thanks.
                        • Courtney Power-Freeman
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 8, 2008
                            I can do rough translations if need be on the Dutch site. Years ago I
                            lived in The Netherlands and spoke Dutch pretty well. Let me know if
                            you need help.

                            Courtney
                          • Dave Lloyd
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 8, 2008
                              Stoutag:

                              Can you post some details about the rough dimensions? I could
                              probably figure it out from there but since my X hasn't arrived yet I
                              have zero ideas what the dimensions should be.

                              I have to say again that you've made quite the family truckster out of
                              your bike. I'm quite envious, especially with the rain cover you now
                              have.

                              --
                              --dlloyd
                            • stoutag
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 8, 2008
                                I took measurements from a number of different strollers and accounted
                                for the rough age range I wanted this to work for, and how those
                                strollers are known to work for varying ages.

                                Consequently off the top of my head, I believe the dimensions worked
                                something like this.

                                Interior seat width ~11-11.5"
                                Interior seat back to where legs bend approximately 10"
                                Seat back height ~19" at the highest point

                                I think total length was something like 28-29" if I remember correctly.

                                After having used it for a month I don't think there's anythink I'd
                                really change as far as form factor goes. Currently I run the bigger
                                kid in the back, but once he has the maturity to consistantly keep his
                                feet on a set of bar ends and out of my pedal path, I'll scoot the
                                whole thing back about 2.5-3" and have him ride up front with bar ends
                                for foot rests.

                                Those dimensions were also intended to provide some room for the pads
                                we made which are 1" of open cell foam with 1/4" of close cell foam on
                                the bottom pads, and just the 1" thick open cell on the seat back.

                                I would in retrospect probably change the contour of the side panels
                                on the front seat to match the rear partially for asthetics and
                                partially to make it easier for front kiddo to splay legs if need be.

                                Hopefully that helps.

                                Someplace we did some plan drawings with dimensions with the intent of
                                taking a picture and posting for others to use. Perhaps I'll actually
                                dig those out after we get back from our trip and post them.

                                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Lloyd" <dave@...> wrote:

                                > Stoutag:
                                >
                                > Can you post some details about the rough dimensions? I could
                                > probably figure it out from there but since my X hasn't arrived yet I
                                > have zero ideas what the dimensions should be.
                                >
                                > I have to say again that you've made quite the family truckster out of
                                > your bike. I'm quite envious, especially with the rain cover you now
                                > have.
                                >
                                > --
                                > --dlloyd

                              • Dave Lloyd
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 8, 2008
                                  On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 2:36 PM, stoutag <thestouts@...> wrote:
                                  > I took measurements from a number of different strollers and accounted
                                  > for the rough age range I wanted this to work for, and how those
                                  > strollers are known to work for varying ages.
                                  >
                                  > Consequently off the top of my head, I believe the dimensions worked
                                  > something like this.
                                  >
                                  > Interior seat width ~11-11.5"
                                  > Interior seat back to where legs bend approximately 10"
                                  > Seat back height ~19" at the highest point
                                  >
                                  > I think total length was something like 28-29" if I remember correctly.
                                  >
                                  > After having used it for a month I don't think there's anythink I'd
                                  > really change as far as form factor goes. Currently I run the bigger
                                  > kid in the back, but once he has the maturity to consistantly keep his
                                  > feet on a set of bar ends and out of my pedal path, I'll scoot the
                                  > whole thing back about 2.5-3" and have him ride up front with bar ends
                                  > for foot rests.
                                  >
                                  > Those dimensions were also intended to provide some room for the pads
                                  > we made which are 1" of open cell foam with 1/4" of close cell foam on
                                  > the bottom pads, and just the 1" thick open cell on the seat back.
                                  >
                                  > I would in retrospect probably change the contour of the side panels
                                  > on the front seat to match the rear partially for asthetics and
                                  > partially to make it easier for front kiddo to splay legs if need be.
                                  >
                                  > Hopefully that helps.

                                  This helps lots!

                                  It looks like the base is slightly wider at the seats, too. I'm
                                  guessing that the narrow area is the normal snapdeck width and the
                                  seat is cantilevered out wider than the snapdeck is. Is this correct?
                                  Anyone have the dimensions of the width of a snapdeck?

                                  I've got the straps left over from a Britax Marathon car seat (not in
                                  an accident, the base just got cracked due to the Samsonite gorillas
                                  so we replaced it with a spare from my sister in law), so I'll use
                                  those or fabricate something that looks like the harness in our old
                                  Trek (rebranded Chariot) trailer.

                                  > Someplace we did some plan drawings with dimensions with the intent of
                                  > taking a picture and posting for others to use. Perhaps I'll actually
                                  > dig those out after we get back from our trip and post them.

                                  Ooo, that would be very helpful!

                                  In fact, if you put the plans up for purchase as something like a PDF,
                                  I'd buy 'em . I'm sure that others would, too.

                                  I've been thinking about someone manufacturing this product and what
                                  keeps circling around in my head is "product liability."
                                  Unfortunately, someone might buy a product like this, use it
                                  improperly (or through no fault of their own have a child using this
                                  product be injured by a motorist) have a child injured. Normally sane
                                  people who don't believe in frivolous litigation sue over their kids.
                                  It's just the way folks are with their people. I could see one
                                  incident like that being the end of a manufacturer of this product.

                                  Anyway, selling the plans may well remove a large portion of the
                                  liability and yet allow the more handy, or those who can find someone
                                  who will fabricate this for them, to take advantage of an obviously
                                  superior kid transport solution for the Xtracycle.

                                  --
                                  --dlloyd
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 9, 2008

                                    Dave Lloyd,

                                                I “happen” to have the dimensions of the snap-deck. J

                                                I say “happen” because you specifically mentioned the concept of consumers producing their own products while being forced to wait for companies to put their products on the market. In my own case, the reason I took fairly detailed dimensions of the snap deck is because I have been thinking of making my own snap-deck out of plastic “cutting-board” material or having a third party company make one for me. That way I would never have to worry again about a wooden snap deck deteriorating over time.

                                                Well, it turns out... Xtracycle has already been in the process of designing and testing their own version of a high-density polyethylene snap deck. When I ordered my Big Dummy I was speaking to them about a better snap deck and my idea of a plastic “cutting-board” material snap-deck. That is when they told me they already have prototypes made from polyethylene, which is basically “cutting-board” material.

                                                I felt a bit awkward when talking to the great folks at Xtracycle about it because I had already took precise measurements, drew up a diagram of the snap-deck, and contacted a custom cutting-board company, which could potentially make plastic snap-decks in several colors. During my conversation with the guys at Xtracycle I did not mention any of this because I felt a bit guilty. However, since then I have held off on pursuing the cutting-board company “snap-board” order, which could have possibly even been put in as a bulk order to maximize the amount of “snap-boards” produced from a single sheet of the same material to reduce waste and lowers costs for multiple orders.

                                                Hopefully Xtracycle will come through and they will have a high-performance low weight polyethylene snap deck (the cutting-board company version would not be as refined in design as the potential Xtracycle version) some time in the fall. If finances permit it, then I would certainly support Xtracycle and purchase their version from them rather than circumventing their product by having my own possibly lower priced and lower quality “snap-board” made.

                                                With all that said, below is a link to an Adobe Acrobat file format diagram I laid out myself with almost all the accurate dimensions of the snap-deck. Unfortunately it does not include the placement of the bolts of the “snap-pieces”. I used “human anatomy” terminology in an attempt to convey the design of the snap deck to anyone NOT familiar with the product, since I had been considering having a third-party cutting board company produce it for me. I hope the terminology does seem too weird. The whole diagram should print out on a standard 8.5x11” Letter-sized sheet of paper and is scaled down so 1 centimeter in the diagram equals 1 inch on the snap-deck.

                                    http://www.moon-shine.net/xs/SnapBoardDiagram.pdf

                                                I hope this diagram can be helpful to everyone on this list in their creative D.I.Y. Xtracycle accessories. It is truly awesome to see the ingenuity my fellow Xtracyclist generate.

                                                And again I hope I have not offended the fine folks at Xtracycle because I initiated discussions with a third company to create my own plastic “snap-board.” I definitely look forward to any similar product they might release. I just REALLY hope it is in the near future and I have the finances for it at the time. I really do support Xtracycle and what they have always stood for.

                                    Ride safe,

                                    _TONE_

                                  • fredpinto.geo
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Aug 12, 2008
                                      I'm drawing plans for building the seats based on your pictures using
                                      a image analysis software. The only thing I couldn't figure out yet on
                                      my own (due to lack of a picture from an appropriate angle) is the
                                      shape of the horizontal piece (the one replacing the snapdeck); I can
                                      assume where the cuts for fitting the legs, when bent, but not sure if
                                      this would be the perfect shape based on your project.
                                      I also noticed that the front seat is considerably shorter (in terms
                                      of back-to-where-the-legs-bent); does it really fit your big guy, or
                                      his legs drop too deep if he seats there. I compared it to Mark Kohr's
                                      versions and his seem more balanced (or evenly distributed) along the
                                      longer axis of the pseudo-snapdeck.
                                      Anyways, do you think you could post a picture of the entire seat from
                                      above (holding the camera on top of the xtracycle)? If so, I could
                                      finish up measuring, add this value, and try to post here a compiled
                                      plan with drawings to help others. Also I noticed that the angle of
                                      the back of the seat to the snapdeck is 110 degrees; since you
                                      mentioned it could be somewhat more confortable for the kids to take a
                                      nap, maybe I'll increase it to 115.
                                      Thanks a lot for being so inspiring.
                                      Take care,
                                      Fred