Best Xtracycle Tires

  • slybok85
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 30, 2008
      G'day,

      So I just got my new set of handbuilt rhynolites on xt hubs. I didn't
      know shimano had built a new centerlock rotor standard, so now I have
      to buy new disks. Oh well.

      Anyways I wanna drop the money just once on buying a pair of nice
      tires. I've seen several recommendations for the Panaracer Pasela
      Tourguard 1.5 and the Schwalbe Big Apples. I defiantly want lined,
      heavy duty tires, but don't want to significantly impact the speed of
      the my bicycle. Weight obviously isn't a concern on the xtracycle,
      but rolling resistance is. I occasionally commute 10 miles each way
      on the xtracycle and could use whatever efficency and durability a
      slick could give me.

      Are the Big Apples going to be so thick that they noticably slow my
      bike? Should I go for a heavy duty 1.5" tire, or stay in the perhaps
      safter range of 2"?

      Anyone with other tire recommendations?

      Thanks
      Eric
    • Victor Khong
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 30, 2008
        My vote is for Schwalbe Big Apples 2.0 running between 40-48 psi.  You can always crank them to 70 psi in which case they perform like skinny slicks.  The point with the BA is that you get puncture resistance, built-in reflection for safety,  ability to tune the comfort of your ride using tire pressure.  With the long wheel base of the X. and 40-44 psi, I am riding in complete comfort with no suspension on asphalt roads.

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 30, 2008
          I tried Schwalbe Big Apple and Schwalbe Marathon. My current setup is
          1.5" Schwalbe Marathon on the front and 2" Schwalbe Marathon on the
          rear. The Marathon seem to me to be a much heavier duty tire than the
          Big Apples.

          One point to note is that maximum tire pressure is lower with 2.35"
          Big Apples on standard (ie not extra wide) rims.

          ray
        • Sue Brown

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 30, 2008
              On the advice of Devian, I got some Continental Town & Country tires. I
              believe they are 2.1" wide, which is plenty wide in my estimation.

              I do not have any chain rub issues, in any gears, with my old Kona running a
              seven speed cassette and triple chainring up front. Which is nice because I
              understand (from Devian) that this can be an issue for some Xtra conversions.

              The ride is very smooth for me, even with my unsprung Brooks B17. The X does a
              nice job of soaking up the bumps as-is, very cushy - though my 235# weight
              probably has something to do with the perceived flex ;-)

              Steve

              > I quite like my Big Apple 2.35s. I have the same wheels as you,
              > except in a 24" size. Had the same tires on my 26" wheels, and loved
              > them there, too.
              >
              > On Jun 30, 2008, at 2:47 PM, slybok85 wrote:
              >
              > > G'day,
              > >
              > > So I just got my new set of handbuilt rhynolites on xt hubs. I didn't
              > > know shimano had built a new centerlock rotor standard, so now I have
              > > to buy new disks. Oh well.
              > >
              > > Anyways I wanna drop the money just once on buying a pair of nice
              > > tires. I've seen several recommendations for the Panaracer Pasela
              > > Tourguard 1.5 and the Schwalbe Big Apples. I defiantly want lined,
              > > heavy duty tires, but don't want to significantly impact the speed of
              > > the my bicycle. Weight obviously isn't a concern on the xtracycle,
              > > but rolling resistance is. I occasionally commute 10 miles each way
              > > on the xtracycle and could use whatever efficency and durability a
              > > slick could give me.
              > >
              > > Are the Big Apples going to be so thick that they noticably slow my
              > > bike? Should I go for a heavy duty 1.5" tire, or stay in the perhaps
              > > safter range of 2"?
              > >
              > > Anyone with other tire recommendations?
              > >
              > > Thanks
              > > Eric

              ------- End of Original Message -------
            • Bill
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 30, 2008
                the bike guru suggests that if you have two size tires, the fatter should be on the front. Seems like good reasoning to me.
              • akyramoto
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 1, 2008
                  I just got a pair of Swchalbe Big apples in 2.0's, due to how many
                  other xtracyclist use them. So far I like them, they are a bit heavier
                  than my previous tires ( stock for my bike - tioga city slickers
                  1.5's). But I like knowing that they can handle heavy loads & are
                  extremely durable. Love the reflective stripe too!!

                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Bill <coteau@...> wrote:

                  > the bike guru suggests that if you have two size tires, the fatter
                  should be
                  > on the front. Seems like good reasoning to me.

                • Michael
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 1, 2008
                    Great thread, thanks!

                    I have 700c wheels and the 700c FreeRadical. I am currently using
                    stock tires (700c x 38c inflated to 90 PSI). I would love to buy a
                    pair of Big Apples but the widest tires (so far as Xtracycle has told
                    me) I can have are 37mm.

                    Can anyone recommend a smooth ride given these constraints?

                    Thanks!

                    Michael

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 1, 2008
                      At 7:00 PM +0000 1/7/08, Michael wrote:
                      >I have 700c wheels and the 700c FreeRadical. I am currently using
                      >stock tires (700c x 38c inflated to 90 PSI). I would love to buy a
                      >pair of Big Apples but the widest tires (so far as Xtracycle has told
                      >me) I can have are 37mm.
                      >
                      >Can anyone recommend a smooth ride given these constraints?

                      Dear Michael

                      I started with a 700c FreeRadical, but very soon found out that I
                      couldn't run the tires I wanted. So I got a disk brake 26" rear
                      wheel. The 700c front / 26" rear combination works really well.

                      ray
                    • Jake Wilson
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 1, 2008
                        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cathode Ray <ray@...> wrote:

                        > I started with a 700c FreeRadical, but very soon found out that I
                        > couldn't run the tires I wanted. So I got a disk brake 26" rear
                        > wheel. The 700c front / 26" rear combination works really well.

                        ~~~Are you using the 700c free radical now Ray?

                        Jake
                        Reddick Fla.

                        > At 7:00 PM +0000 1/7/08, Michael wrote:
                        > >I have 700c wheels and the 700c FreeRadical. I am currently using
                        > >stock tires (700c x 38c inflated to 90 PSI). I would love to buy a
                        > >pair of Big Apples but the widest tires (so far as Xtracycle has told
                        > >me) I can have are 37mm.
                        > >
                        > >Can anyone recommend a smooth ride given these constraints?
                        >
                        > Dear Michael
                        >
                        > I started with a 700c FreeRadical, but very soon found out that I
                        > couldn't run the tires I wanted. So I got a disk brake 26" rear
                        > wheel. The 700c front / 26" rear combination works really well.
                        >
                        > ray

                      • Cathode Ray
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 2, 2008
                          At 12:57 AM +0000 2/7/08, Jake Wilson wrote:
                          >~~~Are you using the 700c free radical now Ray?

                          Dear Jake

                          The 700c and 26" FreeRadical are the exactly the same except for the
                          position of the V-brake mounts. So with disc brakes you can use a 26"
                          wheel in the 700c FreeRadical. There is heaps of room for ~almost~
                          any size 26" tire. I use 2" Schwalbe Marathon. The Big Apple 2" will
                          work just as well, but here in inland Australia there are very large
                          thorns, so I need the extra protection of the Marthon tires.

                          ray
                        • Jake Wilson
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 2, 2008
                            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cathode Ray <ray@...> wrote:

                            > At 12:57 AM +0000 2/7/08, Jake Wilson wrote:
                            > >~~~Are you using the 700c free radical now Ray?
                            >
                            > Dear Jake
                            >
                            > The 700c and 26" FreeRadical are the exactly the same except for the
                            > position of the V-brake mounts. So with disc brakes you can use a 26"
                            > wheel in the 700c FreeRadical. There is heaps of room for ~almost~
                            > any size 26" tire. I use 2" Schwalbe Marathon. The Big Apple 2" will
                            > work just as well, but here in inland Australia there are very large
                            > thorns, so I need the extra protection of the Marthon tires.
                            >
                            > ray

                            ~~~Hi Ray, Okay, so you are using a 26" rear wheel in a free radical
                            set up with 26" rim brakes. What if I were to install a 700c wheel
                            with a disc hub, used a disc brake (negating the need for rim brakes),
                            could I get a 622 X 50 Big Apple tire in the free rad?

                            I'm asking as I have a 700c free rad being shipped to me from the fine
                            Xtracycle folks. I'm fitting this free rad to my 58 cm Surly Long Haul
                            Trucker

                            I didn't investigate the tire situation sizing (my bad) before
                            ordering, figuring I could run a wider tire than the 37 mm Conti
                            Contact that is on my LHT now

                            something else I have been kicking around has been to do an e assist
                            kit and probably a bionix at that, so maybe I should consider using a
                            hub motor in a 26" rim...but if I could fit 50 mm Big Apple tires on a
                            700c rim (with disc brakes as the bionix hub is)...

                            Jake
                            Reddick Fla.