X with 2 kids?

  • harryshoch
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 30, 2008
      I'm looking for some guidance in deciding whether or not to buy an X.
      My specific goal is to be able to carry both of my kids (currently 4
      & 7) around town. Is this (a) feasible, (b) safe, and (c) enjoyable?
      Should I try this? What sort of equipment should I get?

      Any advice - pro or con - would be a huge help. Thanks!
    • Devin Quince
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 30, 2008
        I used to carry my 8 and 6 yo around for several miles. It was a LOT of work, but doable. Get the 7 yo riding and is makes it a ton easier. My 8 yo rides his bike to the farmers market, etc. Now we are working on the 6 yo.

        --
        Devin Quince
        http://quinceurbanhomestead.blogspot.com/

        Start demanding safe passage on our public roads!

        "Before there were automobiles, and after there will be automobiles, there will be bicycles moving people around for transportation"
        Andy Thornley, program director for the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition

        "Being so close to death makes you realize that you are alive"
        Nels Johson 1988 Iditabike rider

        "Cars are for societies where they have yet to understand what quality of life actually means."
        Elderly Dutch cyclist encountered by Mark Jenkins near the town of Gouda along the Rijn River

        "Biofuels pit the 800 million people with cars against the 800 million who go to bed hungry."
        Lester Brown, Earth Policy Institute

      • Dane Buson
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 30, 2008
          On Jun 30, harryshoch tripped the electrons lexically so:

          > I'm looking for some guidance in deciding whether or not to buy an X.
          > My specific goal is to be able to carry both of my kids (currently 4
          > & 7) around town. Is this (a) feasible, (b) safe, and (c) enjoyable?
          > Should I try this? What sort of equipment should I get?

          a) Perfectly feasible

          http://members.arstechnica.com/x/zuvembi/xtracycle_girls-02.jpg

          I've been know to carry both kids and my wife for various distances. It
          really helps if it's reasonably flat when you're carrying that much
          load.

          b) Safe

          I'm fairly comfortable with the level of risk. I do tend to be more
          conservative when I'm riding with passengers. I keep the speed down on
          downhills, increase braking distance, don't chase gaps in traffic, etc.

          When the youngest was younger she rode in a Bobike mini seat up front.
          Now that she's older I can trust her to hold on, at least while her
          older sister is sitting behind her to monitor her.

          c) Enjoyable

          I think it's very enjoyable. Thought the extra weight does mean I won't
          go as far or on as hilly routes. On the other hand, the children don't
          typically have the patience for huge outings. Though if we're with
          other people (a group) that they can talk to that makes a huge
          difference.

          --
          Dane Buson - Buson@...
          "Arguments with furniture are rarely productive."
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 30, 2008
            I currently carry my wife and 4 year old daughter.  While this is doable, any headwind or hill makes this quite difficult.  Therefore, this past weekend I installed an electric kit on the bike.  You can read about it here: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=434383

            To answer your question directly.  Yes it is safe.  (we wear reflective vests, helmets, utilize turn signals, etc.)  It is extremely enjoyable as you can carry on a conversation instead of having the child in a distant trailer at the back.  The handling of the Xtracycle is also much better than a trailer setup.  If you mount a large basket at the front of the bike (choose one with large spaces between the wries frames and using nylon toe clip straps to strap on your favorite riding jacket or accessories and increase the utility you experience.

            If you carry passengers consistently, I recommend the following:

            1. Get Schwalbe Big Apple ties in 2.0x26 or 2.35x26.  Make sure your front forks have no issues with 2.35.

            2. Run these tires at about 40 to 45 psi.  With these tires and the long wheelbase of the Xtracycle, you really won't need suspension.  It is a plush ride.

            3. Get a stoker bar and long swept back cruiser bars for the passengers.  You can see pics of this on the thread I listed. http://www.bikeforums.net/showpost.php?p=6931042&postcount=24

            If you merely mount a straight stoker bar, your passengers  will have to bend forward at the waist reducing their comfort.  The swept back cruiser bars allow them to sit upright ina begging position for maximum comfort and endurance.

            4.  Mount mountain bike bar ends as foot pegs for the kids.  This allows them to comfortable brace their feet for additional stability and comfort.  If their legs are long enough, then they can use the footsies.  The bar end foot pegs are in the pic above.

            5. Buy a custom made cushion for the snapdeck (wooden plank on the Xtracycle) from www.clevercycles.com    This greatly enhances the comfort of your passengers.

            You can see a bunch of different setups for carrying people and cargo here:
            http://www.rideyourbike.com/xtracycle.html

            Victor

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 30, 2008
              I regularly carry both kids - 5 and 9. For short distances it is easy.
              For longer distances an electric assist helps.
              Juergen

              Devin Quince wrote:

              > I used to carry my 8 and 6 yo around for several miles. It was a LOT
              > of work, but doable. Get the 7 yo riding and is makes it a ton easier.
              > My 8 yo rides his bike to the farmers market, etc. Now we are working
              > on the 6 yo.
              >
              > On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 11:59 AM, harryshoch <harryshoch@...
              > <mailto:harryshoch@...>> wrote:
              >

              > I'm looking for some guidance in deciding whether or not to buy an X.
              > My specific goal is to be able to carry both of my kids (currently 4
              > & 7) around town. Is this (a) feasible, (b) safe, and (c) enjoyable?
              > Should I try this? What sort of equipment should I get?
              >
              > Any advice - pro or con - would be a huge help. Thanks!

            • santiago0000000000
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 30, 2008
                I have no problems riding with my two daughters (5 and 7) and really enjoy doing it.  It is definitely fun.  I am careful and put a blinking light in the rear.  I am thinking of putting one of those flash flags as well.  Other than that I have no concern about my girls sitting back there.

                As far as capability, I have no problem riding with them but I'm an avid cyclist.  I recently rode the Tour de Nuit ride in Montreal, which I think was 25km.  The pic below is of that ride.

                Santiago
                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Juergen Weichert <juergen@...> wrote:

                > I regularly carry both kids - 5 and 9. For short distances it is easy.
                > For longer distances an electric assist helps.
                > Juergen
                >

                > Devin Quince wrote:
                > >
                > > I used to carry my 8 and 6 yo around for several miles. It was a LOT
                > > of work, but doable. Get the 7 yo riding and is makes it a ton easier.
                > > My 8 yo rides his bike to the farmers market, etc. Now we are working
                > > on the 6 yo.
                > >
                > > On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 11:59 AM, harryshoch harryshoch@...
                > > <mailto:harryshoch@...> wrote:
                > >

                > > I'm looking for some guidance in deciding whether or not to buy an X.
                > > My specific goal is to be able to carry both of my kids (currently 4
                > > & 7) around town. Is this (a) feasible, (b) safe, and (c) enjoyable?
                > > Should I try this? What sort of equipment should I get?
                > >
                > > Any advice - pro or con - would be a huge help. Thanks!

              • Kate and Rob Hanson
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 2, 2008
                  I've recently completed my first attempt at a 2-kid seat.
                  http://web.mac.com/kate.robhanson/iWeb/Site/bikes_files/DSCF0005.jpg

                  It works well, and though I'm making another one to give the two boys
                  a little more space between, it's preferable to the old arrangement.
                  http://web.mac.com/kate.robhanson/iWeb/Site/bikes_files/DSCF0017.jpg

                  As others have said, it's definitely fun!

                  --rob