Re: [rootsradicals] e-assist in Boulder...not allowed on bike paths

  • Mark Garvey
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 27, 2008
      I have been using an e-asist for about 2 years now.  NO troubles.  If you don't go screaming along at 40 mph on the trails, no one will care.  just ride like you normally do and no one will either notice or care.  If you ride the trail and are worried, don't use the power when you are near anyone!  Just pedal anyway!  Most motors are so stealthy that they are not noticable and most police have better things to do than patrol bike paths to see if you are using a sneaky assist unit.

      MY thoughts arre that these are in place to keep motorcycles and Mo Peds from using the trail and racing along at twice the speed of the people on the trail anyway.  So if you blend with traffic on the trail, Zero persperation.  Dick Anson is in your neck of the woods and has a lot of experience with e-assist.  Talk to him.  VERY good guy!

      By the way, an e-assist is a life (and knee!) saver!

      mark

      On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 7:24 AM, The DINKs <thedinks@...> wrote:
      Hmmmm.  The whole e-assist issue is interesting.  My X gets installed next week on my Trek 7300 (also using my LBS..sheer laziness on my part).  While most of my commute is pretty mellow, I do have a significant hill to climb on the last leg home.  It's tough enough right now just hauling my son on his trail-a-bike, I can't imagine what it will be like without his horsepower contribution.

      I'll be adjusting the gearing with the install of the X, to give myself a little kinder granny, and I'm stubborn enough to power up any hill, but I can see the need some day in the future for e-assist on that last big hill.  The part I struggle with is that e-bikes of any kind are prohibited from the bike paths in Boulder.  Seems odd to me, since I would never use the "e" part while on the path, but I could find nothing in the city ordinances that distinguishes between whether or not the motor is actually ON while on the path, just that you have a motor.  I fortunately live in a place with easy access to a path that goes nearly everywhere I want to go...the nearby streets are way too crazy and not nearly as convenient.

      Suggestions? Experiences?

      MaryBeth
      www.dinkswithkids.com

      --
      Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. –Desmond Tutu