Invitation to Superbowl Alternaride

  • Paul Freedman
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2005
      Dear Xtracycle people in the Bay Area:

      This weekend I'm organizing a bike ride from San Francisco to Muir Beach to
      take place during the Superbowl.

      Please read on if you're interested:

      It happens every year. You haven’t planned anything special for Superbowl
      Sunday. You’re not a big football fan. Nevertheless, you do one of three
      things.

      1. You accept a last minute invitation to watch the game with friends, most
      of whom have not seen another football game all year. These people remain
      silent during the game as the remaining 10% cheer, riveted.
      2. Stay at home. Feel lonely. Turn on the TV and watch the game with some
      tortilla chips.
      3. Stay at home. Feel lonely. Keep TV off. Get nothing done.

      This year, join me in saying to hell with the peer pressure, the cheering
      for advertisements, the lukewarm buffalo wings, the adoration of our culture
      ’s best paid athletes while we eat Fritos on the couch.
      I’m organizing a rip-roaring mountain bike ride through the Marin Headlands
      to Muir Beach on Superbowl Sunday. The roads and trails will be deserted,
      and we’ll be passing through some beautiful vistas. If you don’t have a
      mountain bike, don’t count yourself out just yet. Read on. There is an
      on-road option for those who want to meet up at the destination: The Pelican
      Pub in Muir Beach. The Pelican is a British-style pub, where we can take in
      some refreshing beers, and they don’t have a TV.

      Will it be hard and dangerous? Yes, it will be hard. The whole ride might
      take over 5 hours. Parts of the return trip could take place in the dark. I
      will bring some loaner sets of the Down Low Glow with me for people to
      borrow. We will be climbing long hills on fire roads. It will be pretty
      safe. The descents can be steep in spots, and I’ve seen people scuff up
      their elbows before. But there are no cliffs to fall off, and everything is
      walkable if you don’t feel sure of your skills. As mountain biking goes,
      this ride is considered non-technical. You won’t have to pick through
      boulders and logs.

      On the return trip, we can either go back through the Marin Headlands or
      climb up route 1 to Sausalito and take the ferry back to Pier 39.

      And what if I don’t have a mountain bike? A lot of regular bikes can make
      this route, though people with skinny city tires might have poor traction on
      the steep parts. There is an on-road option that will meet up at the
      Pelican. I’m planning to use my everyday city bike (an Xtracycle with street
      tires). Getting off and walking is encouraged. If you want to come but you
      don’t think your bike is up to it, let me know, I’ll see if you can borrow
      one.

      Time and Details:
      Sunday, February 6, 2:30 PM. Meet at City Hall steps (Grove St.), San
      Francisco, at 1 PM. Going to Pelican Pub, Muir Beach, Marin County. If you
      have good headlights and safety lights, bring them.

      Yours,

      Paul Freedman a.k.a. Fossil Fool

      www.fossilfool.com

      From: Joshua Kinberg <jkinberg@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 16:03:36 -0400
      From: Joshua Kinberg <jkinberg@...>
      Subject: Bikes Against Bush - an Internet-enabled protest

      I wanted to tell you about Bikes Against Bush, an exciting project I am
      producing for the upcoming Republican National Convention. Bikes
      Against Bush is a one-of-a-kind, interactive protest/performance that
      occurs simultaneously online and on the streets of NYC during the
      upcoming Republican National Convention. Using a Wireless
      Internet-enabled bicycle outfitted with a custom-designed printing
      device, the Bikes Against Bush bicycle can print spray-chalk text
      messages sent from web users directly onto the streets of Manhattan.

      Please visit http://www.bikesagainstbush.com for more info and to watch
      a video of the Bikes Against Bush bicycle in action.

      During the convention, online users will be able to follow the
      performance on the website as well as send a message to the bicycle in
      real-time. So, even if you can't be in New York to oppose the GOP, you
      can interject your anti-Bush sentiments directly onto the city streets
      through Bikes Against Bush. Exact performance times will be announced
      on the website in the coming weeks.

      If you wish to support this exciting project, please consider
      contributing a donation through the website at:
      http://www.bikesagainstbush.com

      Thank you so much for all your efforts. With your help we can send a
      message to America and send George Bush back to Crawford, TX, this
      November.

      Sincerely,
      Joshua Kinberg

      PS: Please feel free to forward this message on.