Re: mystery squeek and other cargo haulers

  • Kipchoge Spencer
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8, 2006
      Yes, the squeek happens if the Tongue is resting on the chainstay bridge and the chainstay bridge deforms from the pressure, thereby "loosening" the fit. This bothers us and we consider it to be a design flaw to be addressed. Tightening the bolt ever so slightly will stop the noise for a time. You can do it repeatedly, and I've never seen the bridge fail; but it's a bit lame.

      You can spread out the load on the bridge by sandwiching one of those concave washers (that are used for mounting reflectors or centerpull brakes to small tubes/stays) between the Tongue and the bridge. The force of tightening the bolt holds it in place.

      A minor technical: anyone else have a squeaking Free Radical when it's under pressure, like hammering uphill? I think it's where the Rad connects to the bike, and may just need a good tightening.

      http://www.bikesatwork.com/
      Has anyone had any experience?

      Both of these companies have well-deserved reputations for making bomber load-carrying apparati. You'll see their products in use at most any American cargo cycling delivery service.

      -Kipchoge
      xtracycle