ride defensively

  • J.P. Nelson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2001
      This might sound dumb, but here's a tip I learned from
      painful first-hand experience: watch the heads of
      drivers of vehicles on those often-scary streets! If
      you aren't sure that they have seen you, assume they
      haven't. Ride behind, around, away from them, as the
      bumpers of even the smallest economy car still really
      hurts, and breaks spokes too! Be mindful of those
      stickers that semis often have on their backs, that if
      you can't see their mirrors, they can't see you- watch
      those blind spots! You might have be in the right, but
      that might not keep you from being in the hospital,
      too!! Another possible addition to heads-up head
      monitoring is LOUD accessories, although I ask that we
      all consider their usage carefully. Choge made a good
      point that bike-filled streets are quieter streets, so
      use those horns or whistles or whoopie cushions
      thoughtfully.

      But the message remains the same: let's be careful out
      there!!

      Also, anyone in the SF area interested in doing a
      radical parade in Golden Gate park one of these
      Sundays? Maybe hauling a Mariachi band?

      JP

      http://photos.yahoo.com/