Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Sightings

  • Ben Rosenthal
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 8, 2006
      Same deal in Minneapolis, where last weekend a guy looked over my X and told me he had seen a few around. That was a first. I know there's at least one more in my neighborhood, but I'm not seeing them on a regular basis yet.

      A minor technical: anyone else have a squeaking Free Radical when it's under pressure, like hammering uphill? I think it's where the Rad connects to the bike, and may just need a good tightening.

      Susan <maps@...> wrote:
      It's not just Xtracycles. There are at least two more in this town -
      but more people know about them. In the past month I've had two
      people complement mine enthusiastically ("love the Xtracycle!") .

      --- In rootsradicals@ yahoogroups. com, "Andrew Jacobs"
      <infamouse14@ ...> wrote:

      > I'm really stoked to get my Xtra later this year but thought I would
      > pass on the encouraging note that even when I'm travelling around the
      > country I seem to run into an Xtra everywhere. I found two in the
      > Moscow, ID area and spotted one in Bethel, ME just last week.

    • Juergen Weichert
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 8, 2006
        Matt McKinney wrote:
        > Same deal in Minneapolis, where last weekend a guy looked over my X
        > and told me he had seen a few around. That was a first. I know there's
        > at least one more in my neighborhood, but I'm not seeing them on a
        > regular basis yet.
        >
        > A minor technical: anyone else have a squeaking Free Radical when it's
        > under pressure, like hammering uphill? I think it's where the Rad
        > connects to the bike, and may just need a good tightening.

        Did you install it using the recommended torque values (with a torque
        wrench)?
        Juergen
      • Ben Rosenthal
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 8, 2006

          <infamouse14@ ...> wrote:

          > I'm really stoked to get my Xtra later this year but thought I would
          > pass on the encouraging note that even when I'm travelling around the
          > country I seem to run into an Xtra everywhere. I found two in the
          > Moscow, ID area and spotted one in Bethel, ME just last week.

        • John Speare
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 8, 2006
            On 8/8/06, Ben Rosenthal <earthsaver@...> wrote:

            Or some Soy Clean, I suppose. (I don't use WD-40.)
            http://www.soyclean.biz/

            On Tuesday, August 08, 2006, at 02:08PM, Ben Rosenthal <earthsaver@...> wrote:

            >Is *that* where the squeaking is coming from? I've been trying to figure that out for a few weeks now. Seemed like it was around my seat post but that didn't make sense. Bolt tightening sounds like a good thing to test. Thanks for the heads up!

            If Gawd wanted us to use soybeans and wd-40 for threads he wouldn't have made bees.

            Discover beeswax.

            --
            John Speare
            Spokane, WA USA
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 8, 2006
              Nope. Just with a torque-of-my-arm wrench.

            • merlin@re-cycle.org
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 9, 2006
                Hi folks

                For those who don't know, WD-40 + GT85 actually break down oil, so if
                you spray it on your chain etc, will break down the oil.

                Does not last long on chain, can get 'dry lube' sprays.

                Personally, light oil works for me.

                Cheers

                Merlin
              • Ian Hopper
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 9, 2006
                  I too have had the "squeaking" sound, but mine is more of a groaning
                  sound, and I'm convinced it's coming from the cranks or bottom
                  bracket shell cups: I'm putting on my Stokemonkey this week, complete
                  with new BB and cranks, so if it continues, I'll know it wasn't the
                  BB or cranks.

                  Ian