rear brake cable routing and rear disc caliper protector

  • mcgeep12
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 19, 2008
      http://xtracycle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=50#p2403

      How do most people route their brake cables? There seems to not be
      much discussion or pictures of the cable routing for brakes and
      derailleurs. Is the brake cable just left dangling behind the seat
      tube down to the Xtracycle? Seems kind of messy. Any other ideas for a
      top tube routed brake cable?

      I saw this post on the the Knowledge Base topic on brakes, but no one
      answered. I'm having the same issues. Can any body help?

      I'm also having issues with the rear disc caliper protector. When I
      install, it pushes the caliper too far into the rotor and the wheel
      won't spin. When I don't use the protector, the disc rotor and
      caliper fit together much better.

      This has been a complaint I've had with xtracycle, the lack of
      detailed information in the manual. (I also had to use a second
      FAP-no guidance provided.)

      Thanks,

      Pat
    • mcgeep12
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 30, 2008
        Well, I was able to rig something up for my rear brake cables, but I
        still have no idea about the rear disc caliper protector. It pushes
        the brake caliper in too far and the disc rotor will not spin. Anyone
        else have any issues with this?

        Thanks,

        Pat

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "mcgeep12" <mcgeep12@...> wrote:

        > http://xtracycle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=50#p2403
        >
        > How do most people route their brake cables? There seems to not be
        > much discussion or pictures of the cable routing for brakes and
        > derailleurs. Is the brake cable just left dangling behind the seat
        > tube down to the Xtracycle? Seems kind of messy. Any other ideas for a
        > top tube routed brake cable?
        >
        > I saw this post on the the Knowledge Base topic on brakes, but no one
        > answered. I'm having the same issues. Can any body help?
        >
        > I'm also having issues with the rear disc caliper protector. When I
        > install, it pushes the caliper too far into the rotor and the wheel
        > won't spin. When I don't use the protector, the disc rotor and
        > caliper fit together much better.
        >
        > This has been a complaint I've had with xtracycle, the lack of
        > detailed information in the manual. (I also had to use a second
        > FAP-no guidance provided.)
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Pat

      • Devian Gilbert
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 30, 2008
          the disc brake protector goes between the bolt head, and the frame of the FreeRadical.

          peace...d

        • Tone@moon-shine.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1, 2008
            Pat,

            When I first switched over to rear disc brakes on my Xtracycle I got
            the 203mm rotor kit from Xtracycle, which came with the caliper
            protector. I had my bike shop install everything, but they could not
            get the protector to work as it was.

            When they told me about this they told me it might have been possible
            the company sent me a rear derailleur protector instead of a disc
            brake protector. I called Xtracycle to clear things up, and at that
            time I was told the caliper protector Xtracycle sells IS in fact just
            a slightly modified rear derailleur protector and the way it is
            modified is by bending it in a specific manner. They said it may very
            well be possible someone on their end of things just neglected to bend
            the "caliper protector" before it was sent out to me.

            Previously my bike shop actually said they thought they could get it
            to work by bending it, but wanted to check with me first. After I
            spoke with Xtracycle I then just gave my bike shop the go ahead to
            bend it to get it to work right. Ever since then things have been fine.

            If you decide to bend it yourself or have your bike shop bend it for
            you, just make sure they do not apply the force to bend it while it is
            mounted on the bike. That could potentially damage the frame or mount,
            etc.

            Good luck and ride safe,
            _TONE_
          • Devian Gilbert
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 1, 2008
              here's a pic
              no need to bend, etc.

              it simply bolts OUTBOARD of the frame, under the bolt head, between the frame and the bolt head.  position the shape of the protector so it protrudes outward.
              the part section of the protector that has an "eye loop"... that piece goes up top.  i used a washer between the bolt head and the disc brake protector.

              peace...d